Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris On Demand all wheel drive: how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:09 AM
hc
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris On Demand all wheel drive: how does it work?

Hope this helps in understanding the Polaris AWD system:

When AWD is selected in a forward gear, current flows through a coil of wire located in the strut housing, creating a magnetic field. An armature plate coupled to the roller cage is attracted to the magnetic field, and resists rotation, creating drag on the drive roller cage assembly. This causes the roller to climb the ramps of the cam, engaging the hub. Note: In reverse gear the override button must be pushed to deliver power to the wheel coil. With the Polaris All Wheel Drive System activated (AWD selected), the machine operates as a 2-wheel drive vehicle until the rear wheels loose traction. If the rear wheels loose traction the front wheel rotational speed will decrease, causing the front drive axle speed to exceed front wheel speed. Restricting the rotation of the drive clutch of the roller cage will cause the rollers to climb the ramps of the cam, and become squeezed between the ramps and the ring in the hub. When the hub clutch assembly, wheel hub, and drive axle are engaged, the front wheels will drive and engaged until rear wheel traction is regained. When traction is regained, the front wheels will overdrive the hub clutch, pushing the clutch rollers toward the lower part of the cam, disengaging the clutch. The rollers are held in place by the spring. The tension of this spring is critical to AWD hub operation.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My God ,thats more than I wanted to know.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hc
Hope this helps in understanding the Polaris AWD system:

When AWD is selected in a forward gear, current flows through a coil of wire located in the strut housing, creating a magnetic field. An armature plate coupled to the roller cage is attracted to the magnetic field, and resists rotation, creating drag on the drive roller cage assembly. This causes the roller to climb the ramps of the cam, engaging the hub. Note: In reverse gear the override button must be pushed to deliver power to the wheel coil. With the Polaris All Wheel Drive System activated (AWD selected), the machine operates as a 2-wheel drive vehicle until the rear wheels loose traction. If the rear wheels loose traction the front wheel rotational speed will decrease, causing the front drive axle speed to exceed front wheel speed. Restricting the rotation of the drive clutch of the roller cage will cause the rollers to climb the ramps of the cam, and become squeezed between the ramps and the ring in the hub. When the hub clutch assembly, wheel hub, and drive axle are engaged, the front wheels will drive and engaged until rear wheel traction is regained. When traction is regained, the front wheels will overdrive the hub clutch, pushing the clutch rollers toward the lower part of the cam, disengaging the clutch. The rollers are held in place by the spring. The tension of this spring is critical to AWD hub operation.

Sounds kind of like a Sprag clutch.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey hc in Alabama...........Great reply.........But do you know why my Sportsman 450 shuts off when I turn my headlights on!!!!!!!!!!.......Caper..........

Old 02-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 00XJ
Originally posted by: hc.
Sounds kind of like a Sprag clutch.
Thats cause it is a sprag clutch lol

Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

TLC -

What I noticed was my rear sinking
digging further in the mud. I guess
that was spinning? I don't know but
my front never dug in to the more dry
solid ground. This mud was very thick
though and my quad was slanted almost on
45 degree angle is how sunk I was.
Maybe it was just not enough horse
power for the front to pull me out?
I don't have to further analyze I do
accept that reality. (I want a 700cc or
higher but can't justify. Whats the
saying No replacement for displacement,
..aka Stendori) Who knows after I upg
my tire size and type this year I go
back for that challenge. eheh at least
FUN trying!

R'

Old 02-20-2007, 01:45 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally posted by: RticKwad
TLC -

What I noticed was my rear sinking
digging further in the mud. I guess
that was spinning? I don't know but
my front never dug in to the more dry
solid ground. This mud was very thick
though and my quad was slanted almost on
45 degree angle is how sunk I was.
Maybe it was just not enough horse
power for the front to pull me out?
I don't have to further analyze I do
accept that reality. (I want a 700cc or
higher but can't justify. Whats the
saying No replacement for displacement,
..aka Stendori) Who knows after I upg
my tire size and type this year I go
back for that challenge. eheh at least
FUN trying!

R'
So your fronts did not turn at all? or they turned but you where still stuck? Thats what I like about low range you have all the pulling power you need without even without a big motor.
A 350cc with low range has more pulling power than a 500cc in high range. A 450 in (low range) will turn the wheels or break something tying,but not run out of power.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:54 PM
hc
Range Rover

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: Caper

Hey hc in Alabama...........Great reply.........But do you know why my Sportsman 450 shuts off when I turn my headlights on!!!!!!!!!!.......Caper..........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry Caper, can't be much help on that one. Obviously it's an electrial problem and sometimes those can be hard to find. Sorry.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks anyway....I think it is a E.C.M. The dealer thinks that .........Only 7 months of use......Not bad I guess one every year at $130.00 is not too much to ask for.....Polaris keep the 6 M warranty YOUR DEALERS CAN MAKE MORE MONEY THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

I have had problems with the front diff on my bike(03 sp 500 )the steering would jerk left like it was having problems supplying power to the front wheels.....I read on this forum that alot of people leave their bikes in awd all the time and avoid this problem...I tried it And i too have know more problems and it handles like a champ!