Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone come up on a bear while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone come up on a bear while riding?

Originally posted by: Kerbmonster
me and my dad have ran into a lot of things drivin around, we were in the pickup on the county road running with a black bear next to us, we've seen skunks, mice, elk, coyotes, deer, antelope, fox, badgers, bobcats, and plenty of rabbits. me and my buddy almost hit a cow elk one time on the county road, came around the corner and there were about 8 of em
Is this why you call yourself Kerbmonster ? LOL j/k

Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen all sorts of weird stuff. While in high school I worked for a farmer, and pulling a 45 foot cultivator I have had to stop the tractor to keep from hitting deer, rabbits, ducks, etc?. Out walking around I came over the top of a rock pile and almost stepped on a bobcat ? he was pissed!!!! I had a moose stand up right in front of me before I knew he was there. I thought the entire earth was getting up!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Range Rover

My great uncle come apon a black bear in the adriondacks when he was hunting on his Sportsman 500 , he slowly backed up and hauled a$$ outta their lol

Old 03-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

I have seen lots of bear, moose, deer, and elk.

here is a sign that is posted at every place I rade at.

Bear sign

Old 03-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i see them once in awhile in the big truck not on my wheelers. like everyone esle plenty of other wildlife. i actually hit a deer a long time ago w/ my sled. was very painful. lol oh and the damn deer got up and ran away while i laid there.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer

I've never seen a bear here in Colorado, but have seen plenty of Moose.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

BIGGEST bear I ever saw was while on my quad. Came around a corner fast on an open-to-quads dirt road and ended up face to face with her. A friend thought it might have been a big Sow.

It was cinnamon and the blubber rolled on it's back as it ran away like a scared dog. It heard me coming as I have a White Brothers exhaust but the echo of it in the mountains must have confused it as it was shocked to see me on top of it. Maybe weighed 500++ pounds.

Saw moose on quad in Faibanks, Alaska. You keep the engine running when you stop to look and they don't seem to care - shut it off and they run. Mother moose chased us down while calf ran off. Didn't see the calf until it was too late. Out ran her and she eventually quit.

I'll never forget both events.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

A FEW years back and teenagers...N. Minnesota. A friend and I were riding his machine around, we came on a big curvy hill with lots of rocks so we decided it was better I get off and he ride up himself, I'd follow on foot. He took a pretty good run and left me in the dust...I heard the acceleration come to a stop. I'm making my way up and look ahead, here he comes right back down...FULL BORE on foot yelling...BEAR...BEAR. I looked up and there was a sow right on his heels. The look on his face was priceless. It was spring and she had a cub with her which we later noticed as she made her way along, thus the aggressive stance. He said he was making his way up and she jumped in the trail a 20 yards ahead laid her ears back and charged him. I'd never seen him move so fast and I don't know that I ever had either! She ended up cutting off the trail, we waited a few minutes to retrieve the wheeler, when we got up the hill there was the wheeler upside down and tore up, it had rolled down the hill after he jumped off. Never forget it and everytime we get together it usually comes up. How we both made it down that rocky hill at full speed without breaking an ankle...

I also came up on one while scouting for deer season, that one came tearing out of a den it was preping and ran away, it was getting ready for the winter most likely.

Seen many, many others but those are the only ones I can recall while wheeling.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Wow, what good stories, hopefully I won't
come up on any bear at all let alone riding
my Quad. Where we ride in Western, MD
the Rangers say that they come up and hang
around the Ranger station.

What steps should be done if you spoke one?
Should you remain still? Haul some tail like ya
never did before?

R'

Old 04-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

I've only dealt with black bears...generally, a bear will high tail if you spook it. Spring time (sows) can get be dangerous, as most have cubs near by. I've taken a few classes on it, have to take a class before entering the BWCA. They say to stand tall, arms raised to look as large as possible and speak in a calm voice, "Get bear" or something like that, don't look it in the yes and back away slowly. The worst thing to do is what my friend and I did which was turn our backs and run, but it did work as we didn't get mauled. I've come across MANY black bears while in the woods, only had trouble with the one. Every other one took off real fast, just a blurr, more scared than I.

Here's a link to bear defense and ovarall bear demeanor, it's very informative!! Check it out! http://www.udap.com/safety.htm

Quick Reply: Anyone come up on a bear while riding?