Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone come up on a bear while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone come up on a bear while riding?

All -

I hope this turns into a entertaining and
interesting thread. Up in Western, Maryland
the Black Bear is on a huge come back,
not enough being hunted, they are everywhere
where there is off-road trails.

For all you Northern'rs (Canada too) what's
your experiences? Does the noise scare them
off?

R'

Old 03-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Has ridden Rockhouse and Bearwallow trails.

Hey RticKwad, Have property in Oakland and in Rowlesburg, WV that I ride on and have not come across any black bear yet. will be on the lookout. Live in Hampstead, so not up there all the time, but love the riding, little bit of everything. Maybe we'll see you up there.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they should take off from the noise!!!......Moose on the other hand will stay around a little bit and see what all the fuss is about!!!

A few guys back home in Nova Scotia(Canada) while snowmobiling.........Had a moose take a run towards them!!!!...It was their fault though they we following the FRESH tracks in the new snow!!!!

So I would keep your distance if you ever come across a Moose on the trail......They usually in no hurry to move, I have lots of times taken pictures(from a distance) and have something to eat and drink(Soda Pop) then drive away and the moose will still be there eating or just walking really slow!!!!!...Caper

Do you guys have many Moose down in your area(Each State is different I know!!)

Old 03-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

We came across one on dirt bikes (quite stock exhaust dirt bikes) in an area north of where paragon adventure park was. We came up a hill climb and there it was. it ducted into a corn field, it would run around 100 foot then stand up to see where we were (as we followed it along the edge of the field just to watch it).

Old 03-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

No bears or moose around here but, I ridin up on quite a few coyotes. Close enough to hit them with a rock. Actually seen coyotes follow a tractor pulling a plow for all the field rats/mice it was sturring up.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:28 PM

mi brother had a bear out in the corn feild he was cuttin with the colimbine and it ran down the row he had been down a few mins befor he came close enough to it to just about chop it up

Old 03-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

In southern Arizona I'm unlikely to see the coyotes or javalinas anywhere near the trail - they're long gone from the sound.

Many a time, though, I've come honkin' around a curve and found myself joining a heard of slow-moving longhorns. They're not dangerous, except as random trail blockades. They WILL get out of the way, but not quickly. BTW: they tend to post sentries. If you're honkin' down a dirt road and you see ONE longhorn up at the curve or crest of a hill, never say to yourself "No sweat - it's not in the road" thinking the way is clear. You can bet there's a whole herd in the road just out of sight.

Trending Topics

Old 03-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Nothing extravagent like that, but sometimes while night riding, we'll come up on a deer and he'll just stare at our lights. We'll shut the engines off and just look at them for a minute until they leave. Pretty cool!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Bear no, moose, deer, coyote, fox, partridge, skunk, and squirls yes.

The animals don't seen to mind loud pipes, I think it makes them curious for a minute untill they see you.

The first moose I saw on the trail was before I got a bike of my own. I was riding on the back of a buds bike, came around a corner up a hill, and we saw a calf up in the distance so he got on the brakes, and then a cow jumped right out in front of us, it's back hoof almost landing on the front rack and before we could get back from it, it started to **** all over us. Now she must've been scared LOL but so were we.

The first coyote a saw, I would've been about 16 on my sled. Me and a bud were racing home thru some long sweepers with thick trees on both sides. I was leading, came around a corner and there was a coyote with it's head down coming staight for me. I was going about 65mph, so I jumped on the binders and went right over it. It didn't even lift it's head!! I got slowed and pulled over and was just about to turn around and my bud went flying by not slowing down at all. He thought I hit someones dog. I turned around and had a look, I figured I'd killed it for sure, or close to it. When I got back to it it was on it's feet, head down, trotting along just like nothing happened LOL It must've had a headache for sure and with 144 studs in the track I'm sure he felt something. I followed it for about 300 yards and then it ran off into the bush.

If I was a hunter, I'd definitly not be worried about takin the bike into the bush. I've seen more wildlife on my bike then in my truck.

Todd

Old 03-30-2007, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider

A group of us were riding near Bergoo Sunday and a black bear was standing in the trail...We see them pretty regular...In November of 2002 I hit a small bear with my Sportsman 700...No damage to either...The same day I stepped on a 50 inch Rattlesnake while Turkey hunting...The same evening hit a rock and flipped the Sportsman...The next day I stayed back at the lodge..Had all the excitement I could stand for that weekend...

Quick Reply: Anyone come up on a bear while riding?