Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 500 two seater

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007 | 07:29 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default 07 500 two seater

I now have 50 hrs on the new machine. I just got back from the Hatfield McCoy trail system in West Virginia. My cousins have three of the big Bombardier machines, and one of them was thinking of selling his after riding my 500. He said it turned better, and liked the battery placement, and other things.

No problems with the machine, but it did develope a downhill backfire the last day, and also started dying on me now and then like it wasn't getting fuel. I took it to the dealer in Harrison, Arkansas when I got home and he found the problem. The positive was loose at the starter where all the positives go to ignition. It's working fine now. Ignition was cutting off going down rough hills, and then would come on and off igniting fuel that hadn't burned and caused backfire.

I did talk to some guys from Canada at the resort I was staying at, and they told me the 800 is having bad problems in Canada breaking the front engine mount. They say Polaris is using the same mount as used on the 500, and it has to much torque and breaks the mount. One said he modifed a hockey puck to make a new mount on his. The mount will come apart, and the drive belt will break.

Also, I talked to some that said the 500 fuel injected model was over heating when taken to high altitudes in the mountains. I talked to several guys who said they had the problem. I checked with the dealer, and the mechanic said "yep" it did have problems in 05 and 06, and that they had a service bulletin on it. The had to put a new prompt in the computer, and the problem is corrected on the 07 model. The engine was running to rich causing the condition.

Anyway guys. I am very happy with my 500, and no real complaints. I paid $7000 for it new, so hope that it last me for years.

Old 04-12-2007 | 10:54 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

Well up here in Canada......Toronto and Montreal DID NOT make the Play-offs so we need to use all those hockey pucks for something!!.....LOL...LOL..

With the 800 ........It should not make a differance if it's in Canada or the U.S.A. the quads are made at the same location!!!!!......Same with Tims Hortons coffee.....Should be the same in U.S.A. and Canada!!!
.......................Caper...................... .

Old 04-13-2007 | 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

But not beer. American beer SUCKS LOL LOL Canadian beer is where it's at LOL

Old 04-13-2007 | 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Hey frankhottes,

Tell me how the power is on the 500 X2. Since the machine is heavier than the regular sp500efi, I would like to know if it has enough power to go up hills and pull trailers, etc. I though about getting a 500 X2, but am worried that it might be underpowered for pulling and hill climbing.

Old 04-13-2007 | 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SCRAMMYTODD
But not beer. American beer SUCKS LOL LOL Canadian beer is where it's at LOL
Hey SCRAMMYTODD,

That is a nice looking lifted polaris on you pics. Did you do it yourself?

Old 04-13-2007 | 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

I bought the front springs and rear lift. I made the front spacers myself. (It helps when you have a lathe at home LOL)

Old 04-13-2007 | 03:09 AM
|
Trailblazer

I was real happy with the power. I'm 240 and my cousin is around 220 (tall and lean, not fat) hahaha We got on a bad hill going down to the town of gilbert, and he didn't want his kids riding down it because it was so slick and steep. I put him on the back and took him to the top several times, and never lacked for power. I always had extra and could accelerate all I wanted.

As for as the driving on the state hiway, all I can tell you is that the lodge that we stayed at said that we could drive on the highway. We had all the kids and ourselves riding the quads from town to the lodge, which was seven miles from town down the state hiway. At one point a highway patrol car was behind us, and said nothing. I think that they are very tolerant because of the business that this has created for the area.

And those crazy Canadian's! There was a group of three older guys and I never laughed so hard in my life. This one started telling me cousin's wife about those darn steel wool tampons. haha

Old 04-13-2007 | 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Hey 700vtwinman, the 500cc X2 has plenty of power. I tip the truck scales at about 340 these days and I've had passengers from 125 up to 200 lbs. and it has always pulled well up hills. I've never needed more power. I even pulled a wood chipper up a hill that had wet grass on it because my buddies truck lost traction. The chipper was a very heavy duty rental unit probably weighing 2500 lbs. or so. I wouldn't recommend it but it can do it in a pinch. Plenty of power. Top speed is maybe 50-55 with me on it. Not a lot of places around here where you can get up to top speed before hitting rocks, trees, mud/water, or all of the above. I did get it up to about 53mph on a frozen beaver pond before I started running out of pond and had to slow down.