Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How tight are you torquing your front hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How tight are you torquing your front hubs?

So yesterday, I decided to get to the bottom of my 4 wheel drive problem (front hubs randomly decide to go into 4 wheel drive, sometimes only one side would - causing a drag on that side of the quad when moving forward).

So I took both hubs 100% apart last night, and did not find anything unusual. Nothing bent, broken, scratched up etc.

I put everything back together - and followed the torque specs in my service manual for the hub nut on the end of the shaft. However, when I tightend to the exact specs listed - the hubs would stay perma engaged (4 wheeler was up on a stand so all 4 wheels were off the ground for testing).

What I ended up doing was torquing to the initial torque specs the manual suggests, they then suggest backing off 1/2 turn and re-torqee. I backed off 1/2 and left it at that. Hub is secure, and the 4 wheel drive now operates properly.

Is anyone else finding similar results? How tight are you going and maintaining proper 4 wheel drive functionality?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

I do mine by feel...i've replaced a ton of cv joints w/ no problems doing it like this..but when it comes to the 4x4 part i would say normally it's something electrical than mechanical

Old 04-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Prariescrammer
I do mine by feel...i've replaced a ton of cv joints w/ no problems doing it like this..but when it comes to the 4x4 part i would say normally it's something electrical than mechanical
Well, I know for sure - at least on my scrambler - that if that nut gets tightend too tight, the hubs would be perma engaged - the magenet was working fine (I tested it both on and off), but if the nut was too tight, the front hubs wouldnt disengage. This seems to be fixed now that I backed the nut off a bit. We'll see how it performs out at the dunes next week.