Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris 800 or yamaha grizz 700

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris 800 or yamaha grizz 700

I CANT DECIDE WHICH ONE TO BUY, i HAVE ALWAYS RODE POLARIS BUT THE gRIZZ LOOKS GOOD TOO. wHATS THE GOOD AND BAD OF HEAVIE ATV AND LIGHT ATV. wHICH IS MORE DEPENDABLE AND CAPABLE? ANY BIT OF INFO WOULD HELP

Old 04-21-2007, 04:54 AM
Pro Rider

I've ridden both. They are both really, really good. In the end you're going to have to ride both in the areas and terrain you will be riding to tell. Your butt will be the determining factor.

If you get the Polaris you need to get it with the deluxe model with decent control. Don't even consider it without it. They did a good job correcting a serious defect with their engine braking with their new active decent control or whatever they call it. It seems to work well as far as I can tell. Infinitely better than the disaster that it was. The Polaris rides extremely nice and works like a champ. A great comfortable ATV that rides like a Cadillac I think. It is heavy and doesn't handle as well as other ATV in its class in the timber and in tight extreme trails but its fine. You just have to horse it around more. It's a rugged beast from what I'm told. I got some good seat time on it and I really enjoyed it. You could ride all day on it and never get tired. Good power, solid, great comfort, work all day and ride the trail. what more do want?

The 700 Grizz I really liked. It's a lot of fun to ride on the trail. It handles extremely well. Everything balanced and it just has a good feel to it. The power steering isn't a gimmick. It actually works and really comes into its own on difficult section in 4x4 locked mode and at slow speeds. You really feel it at the end of the day.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm trying to decide between the Grizzly700, the 800 Polaris and the Can-Am Outlander 800. It's a very difficult choice because they're all extremely good ATVs with their own strengths and weaknesses. While the Polaris has me almost won over with their correction of engine braking I think the better trail manners of the Grizzly would probably push me to buy it if I were buying tomorrow. However if Polaris came out with an actual 800 (or better) that was updated a bit I could see myself buying one. I'm really close to buying another Polaris. I'd already have a Outlander 800 if they had an override switch for their visco-lok front differential which allowed it to be locked manually.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

in my time on this board and in my presonal experience, the Can Am isnt worth it.

the Pol 800 is the faster between the two, but the grizz has a few other features that make it nice, the power steering for example.

but in my opinion, the pol 800 is the better buy because of the stronger quad itself, the better suspension system, and the overall looks of it

thats just my 2 cents

Old 04-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

I too have had seat time in both, well the 800 was an '05, anyway, the Polaris definately has a heavier feel to it. But consider the things that make it heavier( beefier tires, stronger frame, and full steel skid plate) They had stronger axles, but not so sure anymore. Polaris axles are smaller than they were, they are like the Japs now.
What I personally like about the Polaris: Looks, clutch tunablity(aftermarket kit), much stronger frame, usable stock tires, ultra soft ride, more torque(twin cyl.), winch is still mounted higher than all others, single lever braking, best AWD in my opinion. There are other things too, but I want to just touch on the basics IMO.

What I personally like about the Grizz: Power steering is no joke(works VERY well), nimbleness(obviously with less weight), Onboard Fuel Injector tuning(minor variations), much longer trips on a tank of fuel, you can use the engine to hold the quad position on an incline (sort periods of time) without buring the belt, easier to power brake and through mud in your buddies face when least expecting it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

These are just a few things that I would be considering, if I were shopping between the 2! I wish we could have a quad with all the BEST attributes. Polaris is closer to this than all the others. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Seriously though, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, I am leaning for the Grizz unless Polaris does something diffrent for 08, I am going to wait to see what 08 models offer

Old 04-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Ridden both, like both. Own sportsman 800 2006 model.

Bought before the grizz 700 FI came out. Would be a tougher desision today between the two. Was considering the can-am 800 before I read reports on their 4x4 system and poor marketing of it.

I'll go with my dislikes of the two.

Sportsman 800. Small fuel tank at 4.15 gallons. Wide between feet because of the twin. Tall seat, at 5'11" I have a tough time stanging and like to ride on a knee. Rattles sometimes in plastic and drivetrain. No dual front a-arm (struts). Poor grips (easy fix).

Gizz 700 FI. Cheap racks!! Take the front off to get to the battery, better add a tender. Racks weigh about 12 oz a piece. They will bend and break like the old ones. Poor floorbaord grip. Cheap hitch ( can add reciever this year). Cheap seat latch (plastic like the old ones). Storage sucks (tupper wear under the seat). Fuel filler hard to fill with a can (my openion).

My openion, Too many good features to list for both. Like Instigator, "I wish I could take the good and make the best of both worlds."

Old 04-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

The Griz still has the boiling gas problem something to know. I would wait to see what 08 has to come might get the front shock setup from the RZR an say go bye to the old struts.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

We were long long time polaris ute quad owners. Had a 700 last time, and a buddy has the 800. Went with the grizz 700 this year. I can honestly say that it is a much better quad, in my opinion. Way Way more power(in stock form).......We are went to the dunes, and our grizz ran all over (2) 800's, in the trails and flat out walked away from them just in flat racing(drag). Not sure if we will run into problems with it yet......but time will tell, so far its got a lot more power and responsivness.

Oh, one mod we made right away though, was some wider wheels(and you could get tires too). We put some better/wider aluminum wheels on her, to widen it out a bit...

Old 04-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

My buddy just bought the new gizz seems like a really good quad, I rode it liked the power steering option, not so sure about the diff lock, i kinda like awd all the time, instead of when i lock it in, Haven't noticed the gas boiling problem yet but may be too cool and too early to tell, don't care for the stock tires though they are pretty cheap, as for it being faster than the 800 i have an 05 with no mods and i weigh probably 150 more lbs and had no problems beating him in a flat out drag, trails dunno but it seems to be a good machine. just my 2 cents.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

i should add thats body weight not including the quads themselves

Quick Reply: polaris 800 or yamaha grizz 700