Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to bypass the speedo so i can use AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to bypass the speedo so i can use AWD?

Hi there, im new to these forums as a member but i have been snooping for a while. My 200 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO wont start. I pulled the key switch out and could not get connectivity between the terminals so i belive that is my problem there. But I started it and ran it with the recoil starter, not knowing that this could fry the speedo? So i believe my speedo is toast but i never really needed it anyways. But as a consequence i no longer have AWD! I was wondering if there was a way to jump the AWD terminals in the speedo so i dont have to spend $300 dollars on a new speedo. Also, how would i know if it was the hall effect sensor that was bad, and not the speedo? If anyone has a wiring diagram or tell me what wires to jump i would be eternaly grateful.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have a 200 polaris that had a speedometer die and no AWD..There is a trick to jumping wires from the plug on the back of the speedo..this will give you AWD via the switch..

You can "test" the AWG system by bypassing the speedometer. Remove the 6 prong plug and use a straighten paper clip to slide the brown/white wire out of the 6 prong plug. Put the 6 prong plug back on the speedometer and tie the brown/white wire to ground. If the AWG system works you can leave the speedometer bypass, just be careful when you turn on the AWD switch.

Also do a search I am sure there is a few posts regarding this mod..Hope this helps

Old 04-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea i beleave thats i read as well about the brown/white wire.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default How to bypass the speedo so i can use AWD?"></title><script src=

what will happen if you turn on AWD switch ?? will it go back in 4x4 and into 2wd ??

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mj4all2use

I also have a 200 polaris that had a speedometer die and no AWD..There is a trick to jumping wires from the plug on the back of the speedo..this will give you AWD via the switch..

You can "test" the AWG system by bypassing the speedometer. Remove the 6 prong plug and use a straighten paper clip to slide the brown/white wire out of the 6 prong plug. Put the 6 prong plug back on the speedometer and tie the brown/white wire to ground. If the AWG system works you can leave the speedometer bypass, just be careful when you turn on the AWD switch.

Also do a search I am sure there is a few posts regarding this mod..Hope this helps[/

Old 09-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to bypass the speedo so i can use AWD?"></title><script src=

just type in awd and speedo not working? into the search box to the right. I wrote a whole post devoted to that problem and how to bypass it. Hope it helps. I know it works, cause I did it.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:27 AM
Trailblazer

you been pmed sp700cheapskate

Old 09-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

today i done this to my bike like sp700cheapskate told me to do and this works best kind. thank you very much for helping me .

Old 09-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Be VERY careful with this mod in place and switching into AWD! You will no longer have the speed override feature that limits shifting into AWD over 3100 RPM!If you aren't careful with this and engage AWD above this RPM, something is going to go BOOM! Probably the Roller cage!
Needless to say this is NOT a good thing and should be avoided at all costs!
So be careful!

Old 09-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, I mentioned that in my post. Thanks for saying it one more time. CAN"T STRESS THAT FACT ENOUGH!!! If you bypass this you can destroy the roller cage in the fron diff. If you can't control your thumb and pay attention don't do it. Buy a speedo. It is cheaper that a front diff.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

so what your telling me dont use the override switch ? or while your driving .. dont switch the bike into awd while driving? i usually slow right down untill the bike is bearly moveing or sometimes stops and use the switch to put it into awd.

Quick Reply: How to bypass the speedo so i can use AWD?