Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which repair manual, or do I need one at all?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which repair manual, or do I need one at all?

I'm about to do a little work on my '95 Magnum 425 4x4. Planning to put a few new parts on the carb to fix a gas leak and also change the clutch primary and secondary spring as recommended by a member on here. The carb work I'm not worried about at all, I can do that without a manual. I've never worked on an ATV clutch before though. Is it complex enough that I should get a manual, or can anyone on here walk me through it or guide me to a couple pictures or tutorial that will get me through the job.

Assuming I need a manual, I'm a little confused about which one to get. Going off of the year of my unit, I'd say I need this one... http://www.themotorbookstore.com/polat191.html

However the motor size isn't listed and the picture on the cover looks to be of a much smaller atv than mine. The 1996-98 book has the 425 model listed, and the picture looks just like my unit. It is here.. http://www.themotorbookstore.com/polmagbigbos.html

Is it possible that I actually need the 1996-98 book rather than the first one?

TIA

Old 04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

manuals are nice to have for sure, but in my opinion you dont need one to do the clucth work. the prim. clutch is easy as you take out the 5/8" bolt in the center and the 3/8 or 7/16"(not sure on yours) 6 of them form the cover. now it might be under pressure from spring so take them out evenly when it comes to one bolt left on ea. leg. then put new spring in. side note: i would clean the belt dust out and check to see if the weights are worn out or maybe the rollers. you will need to pull the belt off to slide the clutch disks together. (take belt off first b4 working on either clutch. pulling the clutch cover off is the hardest job of them all. sec. clutch just has the one(1/2") bolt then the clutch should slide off. you will need a set of snap ring pliers and strong hands(maybe another person) to push down on the helix. note: if you are not comfortable w/ knowing that you have to preload the spring to put back together then maybe take it to a dealer to have them do it. basicly the when putting the helix back on after new spring is installed(clean this clucth as well and check the buttons that the helix slides on from being warn out) you have to push down and rotate the outer clutch diskbackwards(counterclock wise) a 1/3 of a turn to pre load the spring then push down the helix to reinstall the snap ring. make sure the ring goes back on the same way it came off. note: take notice where the which holes the spring is in to insatll it back to the factory set ups. wow thats alot of typing lol. good luck.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I think I'll give it a go without the manual first. May come back on here with a question or two during the installation though. Appreciate the walk-through.

Originally posted by: stendori
manuals are nice to have for sure, but in my opinion you dont need one to do the clucth work. the prim. clutch is easy as you take out the 5/8" bolt in the center and the 3/8 or 7/16"(not sure on yours) 6 of them form the cover. now it might be under pressure from spring so take them out evenly when it comes to one bolt left on ea. leg. then put new spring in. side note: i would clean the belt dust out and check to see if the weights are worn out or maybe the rollers. you will need to pull the belt off to slide the clutch disks together. (take belt off first b4 working on either clutch. pulling the clutch cover off is the hardest job of them all. sec. clutch just has the one(1/2") bolt then the clutch should slide off. you will need a set of snap ring pliers and strong hands(maybe another person) to push down on the helix. note: if you are not comfortable w/ knowing that you have to preload the spring to put back together then maybe take it to a dealer to have them do it. basicly the when putting the helix back on after new spring is installed(clean this clucth as well and check the buttons that the helix slides on from being warn out) you have to push down and rotate the outer clutch diskbackwards(counterclock wise) a 1/3 of a turn to pre load the spring then push down the helix to reinstall the snap ring. make sure the ring goes back on the same way it came off. note: take notice where the which holes the spring is in to insatll it back to the factory set ups. wow thats alot of typing lol. good luck.