Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to drill a carb slide on a Hawkey (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to drill a carb slide on a Hawkey (with pics)

I did it without taking off the plastic. Its worth it.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TennesseeTider

I did it without taking off the plastic. Its worth it.</end quote></div>

Well I did it. You were right it can be done without removing the plastic. I loosened the clamps from the airbox and the intake, and it allowed me to rotate the carb enough to work on it. I also removed the clear vent hose.

Only things I can add to the info here is, I tapped on the end of the screwdriver while setting in the screw to help loosen the carb cap screws up. No problem getting them out then. I used a 3/32" drill bit to drill the slide. Slightly smaller than the other hole, but I'm sure it was metric anyway, and the next size up was a 1/8" and it was slightly larger.

Also, watch the location of the ear on the rubber diaphram, there is a cutout cast in the carb for it.

Now for the GOOD part... what a difference it made! MUCH crisper throttle response.[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] I only was able to go down the street and back so far. I'll get it out on some trails tomorrow morning to really see how it runs.

My son's Jetmoto 250 Sport would run away from me before even though top end is the same, about 50 mph. We'll see if it made a difference in acceleration compared to his.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:18 AM
Trailblazer

Congratulations on your mod!

-Pete

Old 06-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

I just did this mod I fought a bit with the hard breather lines untill I saw if you remove the gas tank shroud mount the lines pull right off ALOT better to have room at the carb for the junk screws. they take a bigger screw driver #2 I would say then they look like.

deff made a diff in the street you can feel the front get light when you jump on it.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

It's good to know this is finally catching on, I did the slide and airbox mod the first day I owned my 06 bought new on 12/31/05. It's worth the effort for the gain, you feel it everytime you ride.......

Old 06-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hey so have you been out on the trails yet ? and does it really help in anyway ?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

I have been out on mine on a 40+ mile trip and I was really impressed with mine after the change. Granted it won't pull your arms out of the sockets, but it is "peppier."

Old 06-08-2007, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't been able to get out yet. That "work" thing...you know.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

well tested my hawk today I have good news and bad news
good it deff FEELS like more power and faster speed
bad side by side with my wifes hawk its hte same speed on every takeoff we did IT DID NOT CHANGE
good EB still works great
good their seems to be more low end power I had to move a tree from the road before I have done this and the hawk didnt have the same pulling power as the 1.5 polaris winch did with the brakes locked on this time the winch stalled but the hawk just backed right up and SNAP the tree cracked and fell right in line.
from day 1 my wifes was just a tad faster prob from me putting 25" mudlites and rims on we figure. Im talking about being 1 tire ahead of me after 50 feet hers just slowly pulled away even after the mob over and over we lined them up and hers was always just a tad faster.

so the end result i love the mod if just for feeling faster but i will not bother to do it on her hawk

Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

With the all the extra weight you have with the larger tires and accessories I'd say that's pretty good. What is added on your wifes quad over stock and what is the weight difference between you on your quad and your wife on hers? The slide mod won't give you more total power or top speed but the engine will respond quicker to throttle input and should accelerate quicker without the delay the stock setup has. Did you open up the airbox hole where the snorkle attaches? If not you could do that and bump the mainjet up 1 size to a 142.5, that may put you even with her.

Quick Reply: How to drill a carb slide on a Hawkey (with pics)