Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to drill a carb slide on a Hawkey (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to drill a carb slide on a Hawkey (with pics)

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: powerslider

With the all the extra weight you have with the larger tires and accessories I'd say that's pretty good. What is added on your wifes quad over stock and what is the weight difference between you on your quad and your wife on hers? The slide mod won't give you more total power or top speed but the engine will respond quicker to throttle input and should accelerate quicker without the delay the stock setup has. Did you open up the airbox hole where the snorkle attaches? If not you could do that and bump the mainjet up 1 size to a 142.5, that may put you even with her.</end quote></div>

What do you do to the airbox hole? Hadn't heard about that mod before. If you modifiy the airbox do you have to rejet?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Yes you will most likely have to rejet on an 07, There is a lip on the airbox lid where the snorkle attaches to the lid. Remove the lip so the air can flow freely into the airbox, as it is stock the snorkle is larger there than the hole into the airbox and that creates unwanted turbulence whe the air hits that lip. Or you can remove the rubber plugs seeing how Polaris drilled the airbox but I would leave the plugs in and remove the lip.

I went up one size on the main on my 07 and raised the needle with a shim slightly....

Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer

my wife and I are the same at 145 lbs her has a rear box full of gear mine has front and read bumpers seat rest and rack rails - I alway figure this bit of weight diff was why hers was a tad faster and we race for 30 sec whenever we pull out on a flat road so I do know that this mod hasnt added anything to make a diff in starting speed

the real diff is now my chock works as it should I have never used it before this mod now I have to untill warmed up

Old 06-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks powerslider. Don't happen to know what jet I might need do 'ya? :-)

Old 06-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

I used a 142.5, stock is 140 on the 07's...

Old 06-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Guys, I did the work on the Hawkeye , airbox mod etc, fiddled with this and fiddled with that till i thought it was right then took it out and ran it on top end it hit 44 mph in 18 seconds downhill which was about 47 or 48 mph, I couldnt run faster that 36 on sand, The 25 inch tires were the problem, the goodyear 25 inch tires weighs 20 pounds each, which made the hawkeye weigh 606 almost as heavy as a grizzly, The OEm tires that the Hawk came with weigh 6 pounds each, I put them back on and ran it top end speed 45 in 12 seconds on flat ground it was still pulling but i ran out road quickly All i can say is im not gonna let a Kawasaki Bayou Embarrass me again, So what if I look like a ape riding a 4 wheeler , but at least it will run up to snuff again like it did before, i like doing some donuts and wheelies and now the Hawkeye will do that, Ill Post a Video of the hawkeye wheely pretty soon.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Mickelonis1, Is mod something I can do to my 500 Sportsman? I have nevor heard of doing this before. Carbs look alike according to your pics.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

I'm sure you probably could, but I have never heard it done on a Sportsman. If you google 'drill carb slide' you'll see a lot of people have done it on Harley's....

To be honest, I don' t have an answer for you. I want to say yes, but don't trust my opinion.

I 'can' say it worked great on a Hawkeye though =)