Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Fan Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Fan Trouble

Hey guys,

I have a 2006 polaris sportsman 500 h.o. I was out riding last weekend in some mud and my machine started running hot. I had clogged the fan up with a stick. Clean that out cooled down fine. Later that night I winched out some of my friends and the machine battery light started blinking. I truned the light off and let it run. Everything was good. Later on that night on a ride the machine started running hot and then the battery was weak. Let it sit a little while and it started up. Ran great, got back to camp turn it off and took out the key fan kept running. Killing the battery. Jumped it the next morning started right up , turned it off, fan kept running killing battery. So my problem is as soon as I put any power to the machine (with out putting the key in it) the fan starts running killing the battery. Even if I don't start it the fan starts up? Any Idea's???? Thanks

Old 07-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Range Rover

The first thing I would check is the wiring. Try and follow the wires coming out of the fan, the wires at the thermo-switch (that turns the fan on when the bike gets hot), and any other visible wires. Some of them could have gotten hot, either from touching the engine, exhaust, etc or from current draw, and shorted together or to the chassis. Just look for melted insulation and/or wire loom. Hope this makes sense and that it helps in some way.

Also, if you can located the temp sensor and have an ohm meter,,, unhook the wires from the sensor and check continuity. If it's shorted (around 0 ohms),,, then it's probably defective. If you don't have a meter,,, you could just unhook the wires from the sensor (be sure not to let them touch the chassis or engine) and see if the fan stops.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

I would check to see if you got water in the engine controller. I accidently got water in mine and for some reason my fuel pump ran non stop whether the key was in or not. I took the module out took out the screws and removed the back plate to reveal water inside. I set it in the sun for a couple of hours, put it back together and it was fine.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Were is the engine control? Hopefully that will work.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

It is infront of the rad up high. It is a little grey box that has heat sync fins on it.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you unhook the plug form the sensor then the fan should come on, but would shut off w/ the key switch turned off so i would doubt it was that. just a thought.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will try the heat sync and see if that is it. Any other suggestions would be great.
Thanks