Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500HO Dethroned !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2000 | 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

Just a little food for thought. I'm a Honda owner, BUT! Why would you post this on the Polaris forum? To stir up stuff? Do we owners of different brands really need more antagonism?

I have not read this article, but I find it hard to believe that the Ruby beats the SP HO in ride quality, drag race, capability in the mud, or total number of features. Don't get me wrong, I thing the Ruby is a great bike. But, given the premise that the Ruby wins this pulling contest, declaring it the "New King of the Hill" is to say the least, presumptious.

Old 12-30-2000 | 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

Let's see, a BRAND NEW, from the ground up quad, the Rubicon, excells in some areas. If it didn't, and I were a Honda engineer, I would be embarrassed. Lets face it, the Honda may have an advantage or two, but the SPORTSMAN 500 is, and always will be the STANDARD by which all other utility ATV's are judged. When you are the best, everyone tries to beat you, and out engineer you. I find it interesting that whenever someone talks about the SP500, even other ATV owners, they ALWAYS, comment on how nice of a ride it is. So why would HONDA, put out a competitor (rubicon), that is clearly lacking the same ride comfort?? Will the SP500 lose out on some tests, sure, but BIG DEAL, it is about time someone give the SP500 a little competition....that way Polaris will improve the SP (the H.O. is a result). Do I care if someone stirs the pot? NO, because they are obviously insecure in their own ATV choice, and jealous of the #1 king of big bore utility machines...the SP500.

Old 12-30-2000 | 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I am cought up!"the Polaris was the only Quad to break down"This comes from bzizzi post in the forum, I did not read the article but from my experience with both brands bzizzi statement sounds much more correct then yours!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2000 | 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to say honda steered away from the independent because it's long term durability and weight!Dont forget there a lot of people in the world that dont think the extra ride comfort is worth the extra trouble!including my self!But maybe for you it is,Just like the 2wd drive option,to me i do not need that.There is less to go wrong with hondas set and thats the way i like.My point is most people bash hondas ways but to some there are ups and downs to both set ups so just enjoy yours and i will enjoy mine.ENJOY YOUR RIDE AND HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 12-30-2000 | 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Boss70,

This statement you typed is false…

“Lets face it, the Honda may have an advantage or two, but the SPORTSMAN 500 is, and always will be the STANDARD by which all other utility ATV's are judged. When you are the best, everyone tries to beat you, and out engineer you.”

I could care less what someone rides, but the cold hard facts are is Honda’s are the standard. Honda is the first in sales, no ifs, ands or but’s about it.

We all have our opinions whatever they may be. Just go ride, have fun, and play it safe. Who cares what the magazines say? You bought your quad because you liked it not what it could pull.

BTW- magazines are not biased based upon advertising. It’s just they opinion. The SP won before and will win again I’m sure of it.

Old 12-30-2000 | 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Boss70,

This statement you typed is false…

“Lets face it, the Honda may have an advantage or two, but the SPORTSMAN 500 is, and always will be the STANDARD by which all other utility ATV's are judged. When you are the best, everyone tries to beat you, and out engineer you.”

I could care less what someone rides, but the cold hard facts are is Honda’s are the standard. Honda is the first in sales, no ifs, ands or but’s about it.

We all have our opinions whatever they may be. Just go ride, have fun, and play it safe. Who cares what the magazines say? You bought your quad because you liked it not what it could pull.

BTW- magazines are not biased based upon advertising. It’s just they opinion. The SP won before and will win again I’m sure of it.

Old 12-30-2000 | 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconn.../nyatvpull.cfm
I know the Ruby was not in these pull contests but what would a extra 50 cc help to a 3wd 450 Foreman?

Old 12-30-2000 | 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

I guess you do not understand the way the it's worded.I took out the phrase he left from the honda forum,The way your reply's are, you are making it out that i do not know how to read a sentence I think you read that carefully smart azzzzz

Old 12-30-2000 | 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

The opinions of 2 HONDA owners on the POLARIS forum are laughable at best. Lets see, who has sold the most automatic utility ATV's....POLARIS.
Goattrotter: The reason those items are not important to YOU, is because they are not available from HONDA. It is simply the HONDA owners rationalization for buying HONDA.

In the automotive world, Chrysler came out with the minivan first, and even though they are not the best in every aspect, they are good, and they are the standard.

Why do you think HONDA finally came out with an automaic 500cc...because their sales suffered, it's purely economic.

I am not biased, before I bought my used sportsman, I was looking at all models including new. I am a Suzuki automotive dealer, and I nearly bought a new Suzuki ATV. I ended up buying a SP500, because it is well respected, it is the standard, and it will be easy to re-sell. I think the Rubicon is good as well, and would consider buying a new one, but the SP500 with the HO simply beats it in ride comfort and 4x4 features.

When people think of big bore, automatic 4x4 utility machines...they think of SP500. That is FACT. I am not bashing any other maker or quad either, it is really hard to find a bad machine. If you want to live with your head in the sand, fine with me, I look at all makes with an open mind. When I bought mine, I was either buying a Polaris sp500, or a Honda, it turned out to be the Polaris.
My selection of Honda and Polaris was solely based on the ease of re-sale. My needs really dictate a Kawasaki Mule, but the budget did not allow that this year.

AS I SAID The Sportsman 500 IS the Standard by which all other automatic utility ATV's are judged. you can dis-agree, but you would be living in la-la land.

Old 12-30-2000 | 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have two polaris because i did care what i rode before i had those.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 500HO Dethroned !!!!