Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500HO Dethroned !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2000 | 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Are you kidding? You should of seen a few months ago all the hits in the Honda forum when someone mentioned the Rubicon lost the Dirtwheel's big 4x4 shootout to the Sportsman.

Old 12-31-2000 | 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

oops double post

Old 12-31-2000 | 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

If it's a 78, then it's only 22 years old. Until tomorrow or so..

Old 01-01-2001 | 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

Polaris riders: why do you get so upset with the Rubicon winning a shootout against the Sportsman? I didn't read the article yet cause the magazine didn't come yet, but I plan on it. You should look on the bright side. How many shootouts did the Sportsman win already compared to the Rubicon? The Rubicon has a ways to go to catch up.

Tim, how do I think a 3wd Honda with 50 more cc's would do in an ATV pull? Very well. Not only would both front wheels pull, but the Ruby is slightly heavier than the Foreman 450's, and it could be put in automatic mode to get momentum built up. We've got a V-plow on our Rubicon, and it does great. We got dumped on a few weeks ago with 16" of snow in one storm. Same week another 6". The Rubicon handled the 16" with no problem. It DOES spin all fours when plowing. The shift mechanism makes it easy to get into reverse also. I usually use high range in ESP first gear to plow. That way it's easier to get it into reverse. Bottom line is this: in an ATV pull all 4 tires would pull, and in automatic low range it would have plenty of torque. It would be tough to beat.

Old 01-01-2001 | 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

By the way, did anyone read in the newest issue of Dirtwheels that Yamaha is possibly gonna release a Grizzly with IRS and a 5 valve motor the size of the Raptors? Some Sportsman competition, I can't wait!

Old 01-02-2001 | 09:53 AM
Trailblazer

Insecure Honda owners, post their insecure remarks on the Polaris board. I don't care what is on the Honda board, since I do not own one. If I did, then I would be there. I personally don't care about the win or loss issue. As I stated before, competition gives us all better ATV's, whether they are Honda Suzuki, polaris...whatever. Honda owners just can't stand the fact that Polaris changed the ATV industry with the Automatic Trailblazer in 1985. Since then every ATV manufacturer has jumped on the bandwagon of AUTOMATIC ATV's...WHY? Because that is what people want. Honda, finally has relented to demand, and produced an automatic...gee it only took them 15 years of self denial. For me, brand makes no difference, I buy whatever appeals to me at the moment. Maybe the next quad will be a Honda, Kawaski...who knows.

Old 01-02-2001 | 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Bought it Spring of '77

Old 01-02-2001 | 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Im not upset about anything the magazines publish because I learned long ago that they are incorrect on alot of their statements.So what,the Ruby wins this one?I think its alot better to form your own opionion when you have friends that ride them and see what they think of their new ATV.Ask them for a switch for the afternoon,he can ride yours,you ride his.To many times,the younger folks buy into the magazines statements,some good,some bad.Personally,I cant wait for the opportunity to ride the Ruby,
Bill

Old 01-02-2001 | 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Good post Alaskaweasel............

Old 01-02-2001 | 09:03 PM
Range Rover

Yea, sorry about the motor size statement. I was reading about the Kawasaki Mules engine and the Prairie and got 'em a little mixed up. I apologize to all.:P

Quick Reply: Sportsman 500HO Dethroned !!!!