Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2000, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, here is a question for anyone who has had to use the Polaris warranty.... I have a 2000 Trail Boss 325, purchased new about 3 months ago and have run into a little, well big problem. A group of us were out riding in the first real snow of the year, rolling down some trails when I noticed my chain popped. So I take a look only to find that not only did it pop, but it broke and took out the transmission case with it. So we get it back to the trailer and head off to the dealer. Upon talking to them about the warranty, I was told that this will most likely not be covered as it may be a result of maintanence not being performed. The problem is, the maintanence was done, just by me so there is no way to back that up. They (the dealer) said it sounds like the chain was too tight which caused it to snap. However, if anything the chain was a bit too loose. The chain did wrap around the front sroket and although broken they are going to try to piece it back together to check tension. It hasn't been ridden all that much, maybe 15 hours so it wasn't even time for what they call "scheduled maintanence". The transmission caseis clearly shot, with a hole the size of your fist at least. If Polaris denies coverage should I fight it or bite it? This quad hasn't been severly abused. I mean how bad can you beat a trail boss? Too slow and heavy to jump, so it is just used for recreation trail riding and never neutral dropped. I am still waiting to hear the judgement, but the dealer truely believes Polaris won't cover it? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for all the input and happy trails.

Brian

Old 12-30-2000, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

That is a bunch of crap. Polaris should and most likely will cover it. If this dealer finally tells you that nope, Polaris won't cover it once and for all as his final answer so to speak, then you need to go to a different, possibly friendlier dealer and have them do the repairs. If you read the warrenty carefully, it says that Polaris "suggests" that you have the dealer you purchased the atv from do the maintenance, but it is NOT manditory. This dealer probably just doesn't want to hassle with paperwork or whatever else. This should clearly be covered in the warrenty. Don't get mean with him, that won't solve anything. Just go to a different dealer if he won't budge. Chances are, if you find a better dealer, they will take care of you.
I hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2000, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, I didn't even consider the "suggestion" of dealer service.... The place I bought it from has been nothing but hassle so I have a feeling it is them. If they do tell me Polaris has refused, I will call polaris and complain a bit or whatever I have to do... Thanks for the info. I should know by the middle of next week.

Old 12-30-2000, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

I had some links freeze up on my 2000 TrailBoss chain and the usual dealer I went to couldn't even find the problem and then once I showed him he said Polaris wouldn't cover it. I brought it to another dealer and he called Polaris, ordered the chain, put it on and never gave me any crap. Now I always go to him.

Old 12-30-2000, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

The dealer always seem to want to say they won't cover it. I had a chain break on my 98 Scrambler 400 an it also broke a few teeth off the front sproket. They covered it under warenty for me. I have had a complete trans replaced on my 95 TB to. But hear is a bad one with the dealer. My friend has a 98 scrambler 400 like me an when it was 5 months old the counter balance baring went out an distoryed the motor an they would not cover it so my friend processed to yell an stuff at the service people witch did not help. They should cover your problem but from my stand point Polaris is bad on warrenty work.

Old 12-31-2000, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Get Polaris involved now. Don't let the dealer do that to you. They will cover it. It all depends on the dealer.

I had a tranny case break on my Scrambler, and I'm sure it was my fault. Got a complete new transmission, no questions asked.

Tell the dealer your calling Polaris to complain about them not covering it. He'll come around.

Dave

Old 12-31-2000, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

In a lot of warranty cases, (auto, motorcycle, atv etc.), the dealer makes little or no $$$. This is why most dealers will not want to perform warranty work. Most mfg’s will have a flat rate dollar amount that they will pay the their dealer to perform a warranty repair. The rate is variable and depends on the depth of labor. For example, a warranty chain replacement may equal mfg. supplied parts + $25.00 to cover labor, or a crank bearing replacement may equal mfg. supplied parts + $300.00.
The trouble is that most dealers don't have service people that are able to perform the work in the time, often called a variance, that the mfg. feels is adequate. How many shops actually keep their service people long enough to get really good at the difficult tasks? By the time some warranty work gets completed, I’d be supprized if all the Mfg’s $$$ plus more doesn’t go to cover the labor charges of the serviceperson. If any of you are involved in this sort of work, you’re probably aware of the time lost to “gear-up” each time you go back to work on a piece of equipment after you diagnose, order then receive parts, then re-familiarize yourself after a month of waiting for the parts. This time is included in the mfg’s variance. The dealer gets no extra $$. Now is a dealer had all parts on hand, and the expertise to get in and out quick, they would probably not deny so many warranty claims.

Good luck, and happy new year.