Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Adjustable Jet Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Jet Kit?

A friend of mine told me that he has heard of some after-market company that is making externally adjustable jet kits....not sure how something like this would work, but was wondering if anyone else has heard of it?

I live in Texas but take my ATV's to Colorado several times per year, and would like to have something like this for altitude adjustment on my SP 450.

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

It's called DAIL-A-JET. Do a search on google and it will tell all.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

That appears to be it...thanks!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard a lot of people call them dial-a-junk LOL I personally have no expirieance with them EVER, but thats the rumours. Make sure you do a LOT of research before you buy. Just my 0.02

Old 07-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are sold in the snowmobile catalogue also...........You can do some checks there also!!!.......Caper...................Never used them......

Didn't need them.....Drive Yamaha Sleds!!!.....LOL....

Old 07-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Jeeze Caper..... Yamaha?!?!?!?!? Really?!?!?!?!?! LOL I'm glad I'm a "TRUE" Polaris owner with "ONLY" Polaris summer and winter LOL J/K buddy

Old 07-13-2007, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

I've always wondered why the manufacturers don't put altitude compensaters on their carburated ATVs like they do on their sleds. I don't need it on my FI Yamaha Griz, but the wifes Hawkeye ran like crap when we got over 7000 feet last weekend. My friends with carb ATVs were having problems too (Suzukis Kawasakis and ACs). This should really be a non-issue on a modern ATV. The manufacturers need to step up.

Trending Topics

Old 07-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I agree on that one...but I think their answer is to just buy EFI if you have plans to go up in altitutde. In all honesty, the last time we went up to Colorado the 450 didn't do too bad until we got over 10K ft. At the time I was riding it and the wife had a Hawkeye, the Hawkeye started acting up at around 6K....it seemed to have a lot harder time altogether really.

However, we've now sold the Hawkeye, the wife inherited the 450, and I stepped up to the 500 X2.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

....and yes, I've been reading a lot of horror stroies about the dial-a-jet setup. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I installed a Dial A Jet from Thunder Products on my 2006 Hawkeye. It takes fuel off the bottom of the carburetor, mixes it with air, and injects it into the carburetor air intake by using the vacuum created by the engine. It works from maybe half throttle on up. You have to lean your needle and main jet to create a demand from the Dial A Jet. As you go up in elevation and the air is thinner, requiring less fuel, the vacuum demand on the Dial A Jet decreases and helps lean out the fuel going to the engine. They have been around a long time and they do work. Most failures have been from not leaning the carb enough. In my case, I have removed the Dial A Jet because the heat created by the engine caused vaporization in the plastic tube going from the carb bottom to the carb air intake. When the engine was shut off, fuel would vaporize up the tube and flood the engine. It wouldn't start until it cooled down. I had a reflecting heat shield plate and the reflective tube cover that comes with the kit but it didn't stop the problem. Lon Peterson at Thunder Products didn't have an answer. I think it will take some type of auxillery cooling to keep the tube cool enough for the system to work.

It would be interesting to hear of someone has solved the problem.