Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My SP500 will go to the wife

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007 | 10:29 PM
Range Rover
Default My SP500 will go to the wife

Good luck with the new BF. I have to admit mine was a really fun machine to ride. Just got tired of oil burning issues and valves wearing out at 50 - 100 hours. Hope you do not get one of the very few lemons.

Old 08-14-2007 | 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

NO rad issues, never been in the mud. I really have changed my riding style. As for the valves, I hadn't heard of any issue, but that's not to say it won't happen. I am leaving my eng/drive train stock. Hope that will free me from any problems. I was thinking about the box to get rid of the retarded timing, that will add about 5 HP, but I will just leave it alone!

Old 08-15-2007 | 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

What??? First, you get a nuclear puke green Brute and now you don't take it through mud???? Are you sure that you are the true Instigater???? Or are you the first part of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers doing a poor job of mimicking the Instigater we know and have come to love??? Say it ain't so.

Old 08-15-2007 | 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

Before reading this please understand this is just my opinion. I am not bashing.

Sorry fella's, but it is true. As I see it Polaris makes the best Deep muddin' machine out there. But I did more trail riding than muddin'. And my oppinion is, Polaris really lacks on the trail worthy aspect of life! So, I have changed to trails only. Sure this thing would eat through some mud, but then I'd have to get tires, then a clutch kit, then axles, then why stop there, I might as well get a pipe, and a jet kit. I have had enough of the modding thing. I like my STOCK (except shocks) Brute. I have found out that I like this stuff better, I have seen some guys stuck in the mud. I used to wait and show them how to go through it. Now I chuckle and tell them that USED to be me in there, up to my booty in mud, trying to get the winch hooked to a tree. It doesn't even look appealing anymore. I just tell them to have fun as I ride off into the sunset. Seems all good movies end that way doesn't it! LOL!!!!

Old 08-15-2007 | 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I'm picturing a meeting of Mudaholics Anonymous. In the words of Bob Newhart, "I think it would go something like this". Moderator: I liked to welcome Instigater to his first meeting of Mudaholics Anonymous. Instigater, what brought you here to MA? Instigater: Hello, I'm Instigater and I'm a Mudaholic. I used to tear up my machines, build 'em bigger and badder, only to have to build it stronger the next time... I'm on the road to recovery and I don't even need a winch to get there! I'm hoping all my mudaholic friends will come too. I want to tell them you don't have to stay in the mudholes. There is help available. You don't have to trash your quad!!!

Just kidding, Instigator. I get a funny picture in my head and have to go with it sometimes. No offense meant. I tend to avoid mudholes unless necessary. It does help to keep the quad where it should be; on the trail instead of in the shop. That being said, it is fun to find out what these machines can do. I think the only one I would not consider is the Hondas, until they get a true 4wd system. I've come VERY close to bogging down in the nasty stuff. The traction was just enough to pull me through those couple of times when I wondered if I was going wading. I usually take the lead when we ride because I'm pretty good at reading a map. So, if I get stuck they don't come in. Fortunately, it hasn't happened (and here is the magic word) YET.

Old 08-15-2007 | 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Now that was funny!

Old 08-16-2007 | 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Glad you took it in the humor it was meant to be, Instigater. I try to avoid pestering people with thin skin but enjoy a good ribbing even if directed at me! I probably make more fun of myself than anyone else.