Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEED HELP with 1989 Polaris Trail Boss 4x4 250!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007 | 01:44 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default NEED HELP with 1989 Polaris Trail Boss 4x4 250!

Hi I have a 1989 Polaris Trail Boss 4x4 250 and I was messing around with the positive starter cable and took the cable off and somehow the bolt on the bottom of the starter that one side of the positive cable connects to spins freely inside the starter now and I am guessing the bolt was the starter solenoid? But In order to install a new starter solenoid I need to remove the electric starter and I tried removing it myself but was unable to remove it. There is a bolt somewhere I couldn't see and was wondering if there is anyway I can use a diagram of the electric starter so I can tell where all the bolt holes are!

Old 08-03-2007 | 10:03 AM
Range Rover

Unless you're 98 is completely different than my 95 300, 97 435 magnum, and my dad's 00 250 trail boss,,, you do not have to remove the starter to replace the solenoid. However, if the bolt is spinning in the starter,,, you should probably fix that. You could pull the wire loose inside the starter that connects the post to the brushes.

Back to the starter removal, is you'rs a 2 or 4 stroke? And, is the starter under the engine or elsewhere? Both my 2 strokes have the starter on the bottom and you have to remove the pull start housing to get to the starter bolts. Also, there is a bracket on the back side of the starter as well that needs to be removed. I pulled the clutch on mine to make it easier to get to,,, but it's only easier if you have the tool required to remove the drive clutch. You may be able to remove the rear bracket without pulling the clutch cover, clutch, and backing plate. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in???

It's been a long time since I removed the starter on my 4 stroke but I think all bolts can be removed without pulling anything else off the engine.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-03-2007 | 10:07 AM
Range Rover

O and welcome to the forums. As you can see,,, I've only been here for a short time but have learned a lot in that time. There are a lot of knowledgable folks here.

Old 08-05-2007 | 10:14 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

My polaris is a 4 stroke and the electric start is on the bottom and I think your right about the bolts on the inside of the pull start housing because we pulled like every bolt visible off of the electric start and it wouldn't come off and my dad said there has to be like another bolt were not seeing because it wouldn't even budge and I think you have to take the starter off to get at the solenoid cause my dad said that the wire snapped off of the bolt inside the starter if that makes any sense. And in order to fix this what do I need to buy?? New solenoid? Is the bolt attached to the solenoid? Or do I need new brushings? message back asap

Old 08-05-2007 | 10:53 PM
Range Rover

If the starter is on the bottom,,, then you probably will have to pull the 8 or so bolts that hold the rope start assembly on. Once you get that off, there will find the 2 other bolts that are holding the starter on. Just to be certain,,, you did find & remove the bracket on the back side of the starter too, right?

As for the solenoid, mine is under the left rear fender,,, right next to the battery. There should be a heavy gauge red wire going from the starter to the solenoid, and another wire (same size) going from the solenoid to the starter. If your's is different than this,,, it's a new one on me. IF it is the same, and the wire broke on the starter,,,, you'll need a new brush set. It will come with the bolt, wire, brushes, and internal brush bracket (probably not the right term). If the wire broke on the solenoid (under the fender) I'd just buy a new solenoid and call it done. I just replaced the brushes in my 95 and dads 00. Never had any issues with the solenoids on any of our 3 bikes. If you do need new brushes, and you're not in a big hurry,,, I'd recommend getting them off ebay. I paid almost 60 bucks for my brushes at the Polaris dealer and got dads for 20 bucks on ebay!!!!!!!!!!!! AND, his came with new bearings, bushings, o-rings, and seals!!!!! Mine came with nothing but the brushes!!!!!!!! Anyhow, enough ranting. Let me know if you have trouble finding them and I'll pm you a link. I can also send you some pics of my solenoid if that will help clear things up.

Old 08-05-2007 | 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

If it is an 89 polris 250 it is a two stroke. Removal of the starter assy on these requires alot of disassembly. EBAY has quite a few listings for these starters. Replace the whole thing, in the end you'll be happier especially because of all of the work. Doc

Old 08-06-2007 | 01:16 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

dude how could it be a 2 stroke when it doesnt take mixed gas!

Old 08-06-2007 | 01:24 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

a 4 brush set correct?

Old 08-06-2007 | 01:51 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

will this brush repair kit fix my atv http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/rbk18?

if not wanna help me

Old 08-06-2007 | 07:33 AM
Range Rover

All the 2 strokes that I've seen have a seperate oil tank located in front of the headlight. It's supposed to mix the oil and gas automatically. However, the oil pump on my 95 doesn't seem to work so I premix. Also, both the 95 & 00 use a 2 brush starter.
Here's a link to the rebuild kit w/brushes
http://cgi.ebay.com/Polaris-AT...WQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the entire starter & drive
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STARTE...WQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would suggest pulling your starer first for several reasons. You should make sure that you have all the tools to do the job, make sure it's a job that you want to tackle, ensure that you buy the correct brushes, and make sure that the starter is rebuildable.

BTW, where do you live?

Quick Reply: NEED HELP with 1989 Polaris Trail Boss 4x4 250!