Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 90 runs poorly

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 90 runs poorly

I just purchased a 2001 Sportsman 90 for my son. It starts hard and once it is running has little power. completely useless once it gets hot to where it will continue running but will not move at full throttle. I have removed and cleaned carb, added fuel treatment and Gumout as it sat for a couple of years in previous owners garage. Any ideas as to the lack of power?

The boy just sits and looks at it hoping it will heal itself.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Range Rover

were these belt driven? if it runs good I'm not sure cleaning the carb is gonna do anything for it, I think it is somthing in the drive area, I don't have one, but somone on here will be able to help you out, maybe try over in the mini section on this site as well, very helpful people over there also

Old 08-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

no these are chain driven. the carbs are usually the problem, that was the problem with one of ours, an 04 predator 90 that sat for a while. hopefully you did put the carb back together right. I would rccomend a.) cleaning the air filter, and b.) completely draining the fuel from the reserve line. once the tank is completely drained fill it back up and see what you get out of it. If you need any help I cant take pics of one of the 90's since we sold them all, but I remember the 90s like the back of my hand, so feel free to ask me anything,

Jim

Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Had the same problem with my 01 Scrambler 90. Mine hadn't been run in over 2 years. I bought it from a friend who's kids outgrew it. The carbs are very finicky. Any little piece of material in the jets or something in the gas, will cause problems. As the machine sits, the gas in the carb evaporates but the oil stays.

This is how I fixed mine.
-Made sure I had a clean filter
-took the carb off & made sure their were no little particles around
-Drained ALL the gas & put the "high-buck" gas in
-put Seafoam in the gas to help clean
-made a lift for the rear end
-changed plug

Take the governer screw right out. I wanted to let the machine really run. Once I got the machine running, I lifted the rear end up. I would give it full throttle for a couple of seconds & let off. Increasing the full throttle as the engine warmed up. I was on the throttle pretty good. After 20 min., I changed plugs & kept going for another 20 min. Changed plug again, and did it one last time.

The machine needed to blow "all the bad stuff out". Has run like a top.