Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Another clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another clutch question

I looked throu the first 15 pages looking for a related topic and came up with nothing so I appoligize if this topic has been beat to death.
I've got a 1999 scrambler 400 4x4 and I'm going on a little ride on Sunday so i'd like to figure this out soon as possible. I had a hotseat clutch kit installed last season and it seemed just fine. I haven't rode it much at all this year except around the house so no wide open driving. In preperation for this weekend I wanted to check everything out and when I did a wot run, it took off sweet but fell on it's face real quick like it shifted out to soon and could not pull through it. I removed the secondary and a bunch of black powder fell out of the clutch. I'm assuming belt dust. pre load seems good, buttons look good but as I spread the sheeves you can hear it squeak like metal on metal. i'm going to be cleaning it up with break cleaner an such and replace the belt. I'm hoping that I am on the right track to correct the problem, but does anyone have any other suggestion while I have the machine apart.

Thanks alot

Old 08-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you taken the secondary clutch apart?If not do that and inspect the ramp buttons and helix.I didnt like the 44-40 helix that came in the HSP kit mine did better with the stock 40.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

I did not pull the secondary apart. It only has maybe 10 hours on it since it was gone through. The helix that is in it is a 45/40. Do you think it might be a bit to steep. The motor was completely rebuilt by Rick Ritter 1 1/2 years ago with not many hours on it. It's bored .080 over, hotseat head, intake side ported, boysen reeds, and a fmf pipe. It still has the stock intake and filter. I can't remember off the top of head what jet's and needle position i'm at. I took the plug out and it looked dead on, well maybe just a tad on the dark brown side but it does get used in the winter so I can live with it a bit on the rich side. But still it had no build up and looked good. I put it all back together tonight after replacing belt and cleaning both clutches with brake cleaner without tearing them down. same story, great hole shot and then it's like you went from 3rd gear to 5th gear in your car. I'm starting to thinking that helix maybe to much now that you mentioned it, but that's what came in the kit.

On edit: I'm not trying to get this to rip like my Banshee, I just know there is more in it.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet it is the helix.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer

TTT

Does anyone else have any idea's they want to throw out there?

Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

What position is the secondary spring in? IE 2-2. How did it run out 10 hours ago? While apart, check your clutch centers. That is critical, most people overlook that. 10 inches on the centers if memory serves me. Weak engine mounts will also let it shift out early. Doc

Old 08-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Oops forgot about the belt, check the width and deflection. Also is it riding high in the secondary? Doc