Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 Sportsman 500HO Belt question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Sportsman 500HO Belt question.

Was riding with my brother - who also has a 500HO when I suddenly lost low end power. Once i got up to 30 or so it was fine but low end snap was gone. Got it home and noticed a "rubbing" noise- like a tire rubbing a part of the plastic. I searched all over the ATV and found nothing to be rubbing.
So I went to move it to the front yard to wash it up and noticed it seemed like it was coming from inside the belt cover. Almost as if the belt was blown. I figured "yay" easy fix.
Took off the cover yesterday and slipped the belt off and I cant see anything wrong with it. Looks normal. There were no shreds of belt anywhere in the cover - no signs of water either - "Good job Polaris!" - but I did notice that there places inside the cover where the belt had touched the cover - not enough to melt or make grooves but enough to leave a mark.

Do belts stretch? I'm at a little bit of a loss here. Dont want to run out and buy a new belt. (although my bropther told me Polaris is replacing them for free from the dealer, some kinda lifetime warranty on the belt - anyone ever hear about that?)

If the belt didnt stretch then I dont know whats wrong. Any advise/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good luck trying to get a free one. yes, there suppose to be a life time warranty, but unless it breaks form a defect i doubt you would get one. i would say you had secondary button problems, but i think that is a roller clutch isnt it? if its an ebs set up the belt shouldnt have too much belt deflection while sitting there and the belt should be a little above the secondary clutch when at rest.not moving.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Range Rover

Stendori, Thanks for the reply. Love the Vmax-by the way. Anyway, I'm an idiot when it comes to mechanics. What do you mean by a secondary button? I'm gonna try running the quad around the yard with the guard off, see if the noise is coming from the clutch. (I hope not - damn Polaris warranty was up a few months after I rolled it out the door.)

Old 08-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

if its the 05' thats in your sign. your asking about, i looked up one from that year and it says it has a roller clutch in it, which it means theres no "buttons" in the secondary to wear out. while its apart use air to blow out the belt dust.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Range Rover

stendori, I put the belt back on and its super-loose. I can touch it to itself easily between the clutch and secondary. Could one of them be stuck open? I prety sure the motor didnt move.

help?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

the front clutch (primary) would be all the way open in the off postion and the secondary(back) clutch would be all the way closed together. you should not be able to push straight down on the middle of the belt and move it more then say 1 1/2' this is called belt deflection. can you take a picture of the set up and post it so i can take a look at the belt set up and what the clutches are doing?

Old 08-29-2007, 04:31 AM
Range Rover

hey it seems like belt is streched,Ever smoked the belt while riding? doing breakstands or riding at real low speeds in high gear will cause this. Is it original belt? might have wrong length. does it seem jerky when u take off? try scuffing areas where the belt gets grabbed at might just be slipping also

Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Range Rover

Stendori, I will take several pictures tonight and post them tomorrow.

Dosceola, I'll be honest, I dont do breakstands or ride slow in high gear, but I do ride fast - I love punching it and sliding the back end around.
It is the original belt, but it does not seem jerky when I take off. The belt looks good - but I am really no judge. I will post pics of the belt as well.

Thanks to the both of you for your help.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

make sure to take a pic. of belt at rest on the bike. we'll take a look and try to help.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Range Rover

Quick Reply: 05 Sportsman 500HO Belt question.