Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What kind of riding do you guys do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of riding do you guys do?

Everytime i read a post, its always about crusing down trails, theres always high speed figures thrown in there...
everyones concerned about top speed,
I always see pictures of these smooth hard packed dirt trails,
wide enough for two machines
Guys running holeshots all around

are you guys riding on groomed trails or somthing?

I ride in the nasty of the nasty.. trails you have to crawl most of the time, nasty rock/root/ditch filled hill climbs and descents,
tons of rock crawling... I have to pull stunts the whole time to get my machine thru the thick stuff..

sounds like every one else is riding luxury trails, with only a few pebbles to worry about.

I will post pictures soon for you guys

Old 09-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride mostly up in Hurley Wisconsin and you can find everything from groomed corridor trails to the nasties you were describing in your post. Up there, you used to be able to find more of the nasty stuff than you can now because they are grooming more of the trails in order to accomodate the growing atv population in that area. 10 years ago, no one atv'd in Hurley and the economy was entirely dependent on the snowmobile trade. Since they don't get the long winters with all the snow anymore they have started catering to the atv trade. I got rid of all my sleds and went entirely to the atv's. Iron county has gone to the extent that you are now allowed to ride your atv's on the trails in the winter.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats crazy..

i dont think thees any trail business in my area... just go out and find em...
went further than i ever went yestarday, and found some real gems along the way

Old 09-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

I am retired and live on a small remote ranch on the northern edge of the Hells Canyon National Recreational Area and once here all the getting around is done on a quad or a horse and that means I ride everyday mainly the quad. The trails here range from 4W drive roads to old skidder trails to old horse trails that we have improved enough to get a quad through. The south facing slopes and tops of the ridges are generally clear of timber so one can make his way up and down somewhat.

The riding here can be as easy or as technical as you would want to make it. The topography here is very steep and about half of the riding is rock climbing with very steep ups and downs. The ADC on the 07 is a very nice tool. Need to modify it like the 08's so it can be turned off and still have 4W drive. When the boys are running around scouting for elk and deer there is usually a lot of winching and lifting going on. I don't go where the risk are to high for a roll over anymore but I do get into the crappy stuff. "It's just plain fun"

This is a great forum and you all have a good day.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

now thats my kind of trails lol. i have both where i live but we have a shorter season to enjoy it . i bought a awd because i love the hard wooded areas w/ rocks/tree stumps and mud. the power comes in handy when i want to play for sure but in the hard trails the 450 my wife drives does just as good and quick as my 800. but its also nice to crack it to 65 mph once in a while w/ my bud on his b.f. 750.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ride in really rough trails, actually i make trails. I got stuck in about 5 ft of water with only 6 hours. When i brought home my atv i raced it all night and played tug of war with it. Brand new.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: thehawk

I ride in really rough trails, actually i make trails. I got stuck in about 5 ft of water with only 6 hours. When i brought home my atv i raced it all night and played tug of war with it with a b.f. 750 and a honda 680.</end quote></div> No one pulled anyone on the tug of war and racing they beat me but my atv still wasn't even broken in yet.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

I ride every kind of trails. I hate riding anywhere I can take my truck. Why have a quad if your truck will go there too right?? I look for the worst trails and the deepest mud. If I ride for 8 hours and only put 25 miles on the bike that is a good day. I have a 3000# winch for a reason. Git-r-done

Old 09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Scrammy, you sound like a kindred spirit. When we go and do the serious mudding, 40 miles is a big day and most of that is getting to the good mud pits. When we spend half a day digging our bikes out of the slop, it's a gas. I always get a kick out of bringing the newbies out for the first time and see how long it takes them to give up trying to stay clean. My funnest ride this year was back in June when we spent from noon til 4:30 in the afternoon getting our 4 bikes to the other side of a 150 foot mud bog. The slop was flying, the winches were churning and we just had a ball. Not a lot of milage that day but a lot of milage in memories.

Hey thehawk, I don't know that I would beat a brand new machine like that. Breaking in your machine nice and easy will make it stronger and more reliable in the future. That break it in like your gonna ride it crap is a big steaming pile of B.S.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

I took a buddy of mine out for a ride a few weeks ago. He's had his 400 Cat for over a year and only has 325 kms on it LOL I took him out for a 40 mile ride and he went around every hole untill the end of the day untill the last hole there was no way around and he was forced to go thru it. We had 3 bikes up to the racks in slime and he was grinning ear to ear. He wanted to go back thru the same trails we had just went thru so he could try all the mud he missed on the first time. Needless to say he is always the first in the mud now and looking to make more of a mud machine instead of a trail bike LOL I seem to have that kind of influance with people.

Now we just need CAPER to start muddin and moddin!!!!

Quick Reply: What kind of riding do you guys do?