Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Problem with AWD or rider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007 | 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Problem with AWD or rider?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 700vtwinman

One of my hunting buddies launched his polaris 330 magnum into his Z71 back window at the lease a few years ago. It was funny hearing him tell the story about how every dear in the county heard him yell a few "choice" words. LOL</end quote></div>

I did a similar boneheaded move many years ago now. I had the brilliant vision of myself launching my Honda 300 4x4 up the very steep ramps into the bed of my ford truck (it sat high off the ground) and plopping down neatly into bed. I thought it would impress the girls who were watching (why does everything bad that happen to me involve a girl in some way?) and make me look like Mr. Smooth. Well, I went zooming up the ramp alright but carried entirely too much speed which is shocking I know. I sailed right across the bed and put the wheels and tires through the back sliding window glass.

As for myself I couldn't hang on obviously and I flew clear over the hood of my truck and over another truck parked in front of mine and ended up smashing through the back hatch of a Dodge Daytona. I'm thinking as I'm flying trough the air "this didn't turn out the way I planned...not at all...and those girls are watching....try to look cool when you land." Next thing I know I'm laying on subwoofers covered in broken glass. Hard to look cool sprawled in the hatchback of Daytona bleeding from many cuts with a subwoofer poking you in the butt. Really difficult to pull off any semblance of coolness.</end quote></div>

So, did you get their phone numbers???? LOL Man, now that is a bad landing and I bet it cost a pretty penny to replair everything. You are now officially called "Captain-COOL-Quint." LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 09-23-2007 | 01:46 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Man, that was one heck of a story Captain. Where's a video camera when you need one 8^o

I took my Sportsman into a spot yesterday that I always kind of looked at and wondered about when I had my Raptor. It's a little feeder creek that's dried up now, about 4 feet across and 3 feet deep. Pretty steep on the one side with a couple concrete things along that side to prevent erosion. 2WD at first. The front end dived in and there I sat with the rear wheels spinning still up on the bank, so I put it in AWD.... gave it a little throttle, then a little more and the front grabbed and walked right out. I went back across the way I came and the Sportsman just walked right up that bank, which was a lot steeper than I thought and had me wondering how much higher the front end was going to get before it found flat ground on the other side. Watching those video links helped out so I could see the way you try to let the machine do the work. And work it did.

Old 09-23-2007 | 05:57 PM
Range Rover

im thinking maybe the rear didnt lock-in? check (next time) that the awd icon comes on in instrument panel

Old 09-23-2007 | 06:00 PM
Range Rover

im thinking maybe the rear didnt lock-in? check (next time) that the awd icon comes on in instrument panel

Old 09-23-2007 | 08:08 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: oinkjackson

im thinking maybe the rear didnt lock-in? check (next time) that the awd icon comes on in instrument panel</end quote></div>

I thought the rears were always locked in.... ????
Anyway, every time I've had it in AWD the indicator has been showing.

Old 09-23-2007 | 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good idea on the wheel stop to save the back glass. I built one for my Kodiak that was sized to fit snug with the tailgate closed. Sportsman is too big to be able to get the tailgate closed though.

Old 09-23-2007 | 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: padog

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: oinkjackson

im thinking maybe the rear didnt lock-in? check (next time) that the awd icon comes on in instrument panel</end quote></div>

I thought the rears were always locked in.... ????

Anyway, every time I've had it in AWD the indicator has been showing.</end quote></div>

Something is defintly wrong so take it to the dealer and have them find out what's up? It should engauge withint 20% of the back wheel slippage. Mine works like a charm.