Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rear clutch promblems

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear clutch promblems

I have a 05 330 magmum and it feels like it has no climbing power I called the polaris place and they said it was proplay the rear clutch buttons but I cant get the clutch off does anyone know if it pressed on or how to get it off thanks

Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it looks like its a regual style clutch so its should be on a spline i beleave or a key way and it should just slide off after center bolt is removed.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have remove the bolt and pulled it looks like it on a spline shaft but the clutch has threads on the inside hole like a big bolt is used to take it off thanks

Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the threads are for a clucth puller. but most of the time you dont need one. is it rusty in there maybe some pentrating oil would work. do not use a reg puller on the out side of the sheeves as it would damage them easily.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nc atv man i read a post awhile back about the problem you're having , you'll need to do a search to find it because i don't remember how long ago it was on the new topics page ; i hope you know more about doing a search on the site ! I've tried doing the search for past topics and the process was to confusing for me to get any result's , but then again i was having trouble with my server at the time i tried ; or the site was being serviced by dbeck or something and i just gave up trying ! I would have to do a search on how to do a search , try to do it anyway and maybe someone will jump in here and find the post for you ; you will have to do the search in the polaris thread that much i do know ! Just click on the Search Topic and it will give you a start , there were just to many option's in the search engine for me to get anywhere ; but maybe you are more computer savy than me ! Any way good luck on the search , and polaris does use a puller to remove the clutch ; but the post i'm talking about had a link that show's you step by step instruction's with photo's it was a great help to the forum member who was seeking the help and i'm surprized that stendori didn't mention it because he's usually on top of these polaris threads ! I'm 54 yrs. old and i've alway's had a bad short term memory , i have been introduced to someone at a family reunion ; and before the family member take's them around to introduce them to another family member i'll have another cousin , uncle . aunt or brother will ask me who was that guy or girl's name and who is he or she with and all i can do is say i don't remember the name ! And i have had this problem all my life , so i know it's not just that i'm getting old ; i usually send a copy of these post's that have these link's that show the how to do a repair job to my email and save it to a folder titled ATV forum members Info , and i'm sure i sent the one you need ; but i had a software confict with my DVD player CD writer combo . that forsed me to reformatt my PC back to the way it was when i bought it new at Wal Mart back in 2004 , it didn't come with the windows XP Home Edition CD ; to reformatt i have to shut down the PC and when i power it back up i have to hold down the shift key and hit F10 constantly untill it come's up in the diaignostic mode ! And then choose full system recovery , that's the HP model i chose over four E Machines i had to return ; because someone had bought them and messed them up trying to formatt them ! The fourth E Machine even had to wrong tower in the box , i didn't even notice the difference because it wouldn't even boot up ; it was when i took it back that one of the employee's at Wal Mart opened up the box and said this isn't the right tower for this box ! She thought i was bringing back a cheaper PC and was trying to get a refund or exchange for a higher priced PC , but when she called the night floor manger came to the return register the young girl told her about the wrong tower and that it was suppose to have a DVD Player / CD Writer Combo.drive ; but instead the one in the box was the wrong model No. and only had a CD writer player ! But the night floor manager said that Danny ( the employee who checks out the returns and reformatt's PC's that were brought back to the store ) had 5 or 6 boxes opened at one time , and he must have gotten them mixed up when reboxing them ; and she called one of the guy's in electronics to come to the front ! When he got there she told him of the mix up , and told him to give me another PC , when we got back to electronic's i saw a big display of hp pavilion 505w with a hp pavilion mx70 monito i told the guy that i would take the hp because it was 50 dollar's less ; plus the hp's were still plastic wrapped and new ! The E Machine's were all used pc's someone had bought and took back when they messed them up trying to formatt them , and another thing i thought about was the fact that Wal mart employee's were selling used pc's for new ; with out telling the customer's they were return's that had been reformatted and reboxed to sell as new ! But for all i know the whole pallet of hp's could've come from other Wal mart Stores , where they were returned pc's reformatted reboxed and shipped to the store i bought mine from ! Well sorry for the long winded reply i have a external hard drive i bought an ADS drive device that you can install another hard drive or CD/DVD writer player combo into this drive kit , that has it's own power supply and fan that you can plug and play via USB port in the front or back of the tower of your pc ; i will check it out to see if i saved the post on the clutch removal for the polaris ! i don't know if i saved it or not , but i'll check it to see if it's on the external drive ; in the meantime maybe stendori or someone else will see your post and give you the link on the clutch removal and repair ! Oh i forgot to say that you should really get a good O.E.M. or Haynes Service and Repair Shop manual for your quad , it will pay for itself with just a complete servicing of your quad ; i'm still looking for one that cover's my 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 ! I have a Haynes Manual that cover's a Honda TRX300EX and TRX400EX ! .........

Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

MY 330 had no climbing power when I got it due to the factory setting the clutch up for gramdma to ride.I changed both springs and dialed in the clutch to the rpms I wanted it to pull(6300) now it is like a little mountain goat.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

tap on it and got it off thanks where should the spring be set to have the most pulling power and still have good speed its on 1-1 now it has 1 and 2 on the top and 1 2 and 3 on the bottom thanks

Old 10-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

should be 2-2

Old 10-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

is that stock or where it pulls the best can u explain thanks

Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Quad Patrol

Should be both.You dont get the topend with 2-2 but better performance.Best to replace it with a siffer spring set at 2-2.