Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD on or off?

I'm with Scrammy, only as a last resort... if you have the switch on and you're moving at a high rate of speed and the front wheels engage it will change the ride characteristics in an instant. Causing you to lose control or worse yet totally wipe out !!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AWD on or off?

correct me if im wrong but most of the fun is getting stuck and doing all you can to get out before the switch. lol. the only thing is i wont beat the day lights out of it in 2 wheel when i know im stuck good(most of the time) just a little bit lol.[img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default AWD on or off?

I use AWD as a "panic" button. :-)

Old 10-31-2007, 11:15 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default AWD on or off?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>the newer sportsmans are something like the awd cars that you can leave the switvh in awd but it doesnt kick unless it feels wheel slip from the rear. </end quote></div>

All Polaris 4x4 of any year work like that, they are in 2wd unless the rear wheels spins a 8th of a turn. The newer ones just engage at the front diff rather than at the front two hubs .

I leave it out of AWD most of the time because I like using the throttle to throw the rear end around a corner.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'm always in 2wd. When I get stuck, I'll still rock it and try to get out. My last resort is 4wd. </end quote></div>

My last resort is a waist high walk in mud with a winch cable in my hand looking for the nearest tree.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2007, 01:48 AM
Range Rover
Default AWD on or off?

i also ride in 2 wheel unless needed...but as of laST WEEK MY 07 800X2 LOST ITS AWD ..ITS IN SHOP GETTING A COMPLETELY NEW FRONT DIFFERENTIAL UNIT.....LUCKLEY ITS COVERED BY EXTENDENDED WARRANTY...........PHEW!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default AWD on or off?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dosceola

Only when needed. i would think it would be a rough ride in AWD all the time. up to u dude. I hardly ever have it in and if its on only for short time.</end quote></div>

how can it be a rough ride when the front don't kick in until the rear spins,then kicks back out when rear wheels regain traction;;;; i hear this every day almost,you would be suppised at how many people don't know how polaris awd system even works............i leave mine in awd unless i want to do a donut or two..

Old 11-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default AWD on or off?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>the newer sportsmans are something like the awd cars that you can leave the switvh in awd but it doesnt kick unless it feels wheel slip from the rear. </end quote></div>

All Polaris 4x4 of any year work like that, they are in 2wd unless the rear wheels spins a 8th of a turn. The newer ones just engage at the front diff rather than at the front two hubs .

1/5 of a wheel rotation or 20 % to be correct............

I leave it out of AWD most of the time because I like using the throttle to throw the rear end around a corner.[img][/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'm always in 2wd. When I get stuck, I'll still rock it and try to get out. My last resort is 4wd. </end quote></div>

My last resort is a waist high walk in mud with a winch cable in my hand looking for the nearest tree.[img][/img]</end quote></div>

Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default AWD on or off?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: oinkjackson

i also ride in 2 wheel unless needed...but as of laST WEEK MY 07 800X2 LOST ITS AWD ..ITS IN SHOP GETTING A COMPLETELY NEW FRONT DIFFERENTIAL UNIT.....LUCKLEY ITS COVERED BY EXTENDENDED WARRANTY...........PHEW!!!</end quote></div>

They are known now for a cage breaking on the newer AWD that engage at the differential.
Never heard of serious problem with old front hubs engagement system,I think Polaris did a change for the worst there.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]