Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD on or off?

How do you typically ride - do you just leave AWD on all the time or off unless you think you may need it?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer
Default AWD on or off?

I am no expert by any stretch. But... I stay in 2wd on harder packed surfaces. And if I am riding on softer sand, especially up hill, I use 4wd. If I am really climbing something steep hard or soft 4wd works better.

Everyone I ride with has sport quads (2wd 5-speeds rockets), and I love to show off in steep soft conditions with my 4wd. Hills they cant climb unless with good running start, ***** to the walls. I climb with little effort in 4wd. I think the best way is just play with it, see how you like it. For the type of riding you do. Try the same trails in 4wd, and 2wd.

I can slide around corners tighter in 2wd and keep up with my buddies' sport quads. 4wd I cant corner as tight. I missed a turn in 4wd, that I could have slid around in 2wd with my *** weight over the inside fender of the turn. Good thing I just went into the bushes, and not off a cliff!

At fast speeds the bike will behave differently in 4wd than 2wd. I am afraid to ride in 4wd at very high speed, way less agile. Slower speeds 4wd is fine for me.

Nth

Old 10-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer
Default AWD on or off?

hwks, i always leave it in awd, serious problems can arise if you shift from 2wd to awd when wheels spinning.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Range Rover
Default AWD on or off?

Only when needed. i would think it would be a rough ride in AWD all the time. up to u dude. I hardly ever have it in and if its on only for short time.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default AWD on or off?

I ride in 2x4 unless I know I'll need AWD or if its anticipated.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default AWD on or off?

awd only when needed...why use it when you dont need it, and it clearly states dont push the button with the wheels spinning.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AWD on or off?

the newer sportsmans are something like the awd cars that you can leave the switvh in awd but it doesnt kick unless it feels wheel slip from the rear. that being said i always have mine in 2 wheel just to see how far i can go unless i know i cant make it in 2x4 then i switch. they are right about spinning tires then putting it in at the same time would be bad as it would be in a truck spinning and switching.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default AWD on or off?

STEN im with you i never put it in awd until i cant go any further. its always fun to see who can go the furthest in 2wd.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default AWD on or off?

There's a built-in safety mechanism that won't engage AWD upon initially flipping the switch if engine speed is above 3,300 RPM. So if you're spinning the rear tires above that speed and hit the AWD switch, nothing will happen, unless of course the safety mechanism is faulty. LOL!! So to be on the safe side, don't flip the switch unless you're off the gas AND the rear tires aren't spinning. I guess that's why they put the switch on the throttle side, so you have to take your thumb off the gas to hit the switch. Of course that does nothing to prevent you from using your left hand to flip the switch like I do.

If you have a decent understanding of how the system works and are concious of what you're doing, then you should never have a problem with this.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default AWD on or off?

I'm always in 2wd. When I get stuck, I'll still rock it and try to get out. My last resort is 4wd.