Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08' Sportsman 800 Work Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08' Sportsman 800 Work Lights

For those who haven't researched it yet, the work-light sockets do not come with bulbs, but are wired all the way up to the headlight pod. The best bulb I found is a Sylvania 921 or 921 LL. These are very bright.

As for the wiring, if you look under the headlight pod cover, you'll find an unused 2-wire connector. One is blue and one is red. The red is 12V ignition hot, and the blue wire is the supply wire to the rear work lights. If you jump across them with the key on, you'll light up your rear work lights providing you put bulbs in them.

I found the perfect switch for these lights, but not ready to post pictures yet. I found a two-way rocker switch labeled "Rear Lights". I'm wiring it so toggling downward will turn on only these rear work lights, and toggling upwards will turn on both the rear work lights AND a set of 50W auxillary flood lights that I mounted between the storage compartment, and the trailer hitch facing rearward.

I also installed some 3157 LED bulbs in the rear taillight/brake light sockets. They are very bright and use about 1w each vs. the factory 8w/26w each.

I also installed a set of front marker lights and replaced the bulbs with amber LED bulbs to provide visability when parked on/near trails while idling without the headlights on. I'm concerned that leaving the headlights on at idle may drain the battery over time, and I don't want someone to hit the front end because they never saw it parked.

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Old 12-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good info. there are dozens of post on the rear light set up if you search for them.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Hey Spud-man, post all your pics so we can see. I remember the
3rd party headlight bulb thread, I haven't done any of yet due to
holiday funds "running me short" IF ya know what I mean!

Good post, we ought to call ya "BEAMER" for short!

R'

Old 12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SpudRacer

... The best bulb I found is a Sylvania 921 or 921 LL. These are very bright...

Tom

Bryson City, NC</end quote></div>

Thanks for the info, the bulbs that were included in the "Pure Polaris" Work Light Kit (P/N 2876090) I purchased are 912's. I did some checking and a 912 bulb produces 11 lumens the 921 should be almost twice as bright, 21 lumens.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

I currently have a huge bundle of wires hanging off the bottom of the 800HO. I've spent over 30 hours working on this thing, yet haven't logged more than 13 feet of riding time yet!

I am shooting photos as I go and should have the front running lights and most of the other wiring jobs (including rewiring the 12V outlet on the headlight pod to "battery-hot" instead of "Ignition-hot") done tomorrow if the kids let me work. Then I start on the handwarmers and thumb-warmer. I plan to use the 12V outlet "hot" wire to power these accessories as it is already wired "ignition-hot" so I won't have to worry about leaving them on with the ATV off and wearing down the battery. Anyone have a clue how many amps these two draw??

I finished the Bodyguard side fender protectors yesterday. Bummed that they partially cover the new marker lights I just installed, but when it's dark, you can still see them easily. Left side took almost an hour, once the learning curve was over, the right side went on in just over 15 minutes. I got my Radiator guard in the mail 2 days ago, will start on that soon.

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Old 12-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Man Spud, any other accessory ya need, LOL?

R'

Old 12-06-2007, 02:51 AM
Trailblazer

Nah, I've pretty much got all the accessories I wanted for now. I found it's much easier and less time consuming to do as many of the mods at the same time, then one at a time, especially if they involve wiring. Nothing is more frustrating than to have to tear open newly installed wire looms to install more wires, or try to fish them through the looms. Not fun. Planning ahead, getting all the wiring on at the same time makes it one big job instead of repeating the job over and over again.

I find myself wondering now if I should use the old aluminum heat shield I took off the JK Jeep when I replaced the stock muffler, cut it to fit, and install some extra exhaust shielding. I'm reading posts of melting plastic? I wonder if wrapping the header pipe with exhaust ceramic tape would also help.

Still working on HID headlight bulb set for the low beams, and already have the power wires in place should I end up with a set for Christmas???!

Tom
Bryson City, NC

There's little that can compare to an understanding wife who supports your "addictions", especially at Christmas time!! At least I'm not into drugs, but at this rate, I bet they'd be cheaper!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would just becarefull not to over load the charging system as it only puts out 500 watts i beleave.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Range Rover

Do you know how many watts the hand and thumb warmers are? Then you could figure how many amps they draw.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

While we are on the subject, have any seen the heated seat or heated seat
cover? I guess with you all temps way up North these things are a real
good to have if riding all winter long?

R'