Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear Wheel Snapping Sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Snapping Sound

I have a 2004 Sportsman 500HO. I recently noticed a snapping noise emanating from the right rear wheel as well as a slipping of the rear wheels. I pulled the right hub and found the hub bearing shot, so I replaced it. It was still making a noise and slipping so I pulled the left rear hub and found the bearing gone on that side as well, so I replaced it too. It was still snapping and slipping so I changed the V-belt. That appeared to have resolved the slippage, but I was still getting a snapping sound, but only when making tight turns either in forward or reverse. When travelling straight, the sound was gone.

The inboard CV boot on the right side had a cut in it so I pulled the right rear half shaft, cleaned the joint, repacked it and put a new boot on it. It was still making a snapping sound on tight turns, so I pulled the shaft again, pulled the outbord CV joint apart, cleaned it, repacked it and put it all back together. Both CV joints on the right side were in good condition when inspected.

I tried to pay attention to the rear wheels while driving it slow in a turn and it appeared to be making a louder snapping sound on the left side now than the right, although the right side still seemed to be making a noise, but softer.

Both of the CV boots on the left side are in tact so I just surmised that the joints haven't been comprimised, although I have yet to pull them apart to inspect them.

Here's my questions:

1. If a CV joint is gone on one side, will the snapping of the joint travel (noise) through the axles and transmission to be heard on the opposite side?

2. If the problem is in the differential in the transmission (seeing as it only seems to happen when turning), will a snapping sound seem to travel to the outer wheels?

3. If the fault is in the transmission, how big of a job is it to pull the tranny to facilitate repairs?

4. Are there any tests that can be performed to isolate where the problem is?

5. I picked up a Service Manual (CD) and it refers to an inspection plug between the skid plate and the tranny case that is a magnetic plug. If the fault is in the tranny, is there a good possibility that there would be metal parts on that magnetic plug?

6. There are a couple of "silent chains' in the tranny. If they are damaged or stretched, would it cause this snapping sound? And how much trouble is it to change these chains?

AHHHH so many questions! So few answers!

BTW: I'm new to the site so HI to everyone! The Sportsman 500 is actually my son's ATV. Although he's not an abusive driver, he is aggresive in how he takes on off-road situations, so some of these drive noises may well have resulted from his driving techniques. I'm not a mechanic by trade, but like to think of myself as an above average do-it-yourselfer. So I guess in that sense, I've become a self-proclaimed pit manager and garage gopher!

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

TBow

Old 12-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had a 2007 Sportsman making same noise..(only made noise when turning)The boot was torn and cv joint full of mud..Cleaned cv joint and repacked and still had noise..Replaced cv joint and now all is fine..Cost 67.99...

Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cv joint is gone.