Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners

Looked up the Brute Force Specs, which just calls for 10w40 with a SF/SG rating, or SH/SJ rating with JASO MA whatever, blah blah blah. Sounds like some basic motorcycle wet-clutch compatible oil. Maybe thats why some are getting away with this type of oil in the Polaris front diff.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I just picked up a quart of the LT Front Diff Fluid today at my dealership. I'll let the case drain overnight and fill with the new stuff in the morning. I'll then change it again after about an hour of use just to help flush the wrong stuff out. I'll probably do it again a few hours after that just for sh*ts sake.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Trailblazer

What I could tell after some research is.....the HILLIARD front diff on POLARIS with ADC could use MOBIL OIL 424 and MOBIL fluid LT. You could use kawasaki TDH, same as mobil fluid 424. ADC is Hydraulic oil.

That what I learn...with research

Old 01-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Just opened the bottle today and filled the front diff, the LT fluid is a very light honey color. The regular Demand Drive fluid has a green tint.

I've also read about the Mobil fluids, but I'll stay witht the Polaris stuff for the front diff.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

I tried to get Mobil LT from our local NAPA and they said it was unavailable. I'll stick to the Polaris stuff

Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

excellent info here. I am almost ready for my first fluid change. I will be sure to ask for the LT fluid for the diffs.

Almost 20 hours on her now.

~MT

Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Range Rover

i just did a 10 hour oil change for the break in period.... how often should i do it now?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have been looking at this forum for a few weeks now, joined a few days ago and just saw this post; and since I am getting ready to change all my fluids I appreciate this thread.

The dealer I went to here in Jacksonville doesn't carry the LT - said that there is no difference. I told them the manual says to use the LT and said that it doesn't matter. I will check with another dealer ASAP.

The dealers in this area charge about $225 - $250 for service but I figured could do it myself.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:53 PM
RnR
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Rescuedog9

I have been looking at this forum for a few weeks now, joined a few days ago and just saw this post; and since I am getting ready to change all my fluids I appreciate this thread.

The dealer I went to here in Jacksonville doesn't carry the LT - said that there is no difference. I told them the manual says to use the LT and said that it doesn't matter. I will check with another dealer ASAP.

The dealers in this area charge about $225 - $250 for service but I figured could do it myself.</end quote></div>

It's nice you were able to get a heads up about your dealer. Probably the best plan, doing your own maintenance.

When I talked to my dealer about the fluid they weren't aware about the difference either. But I didn't get any arguments or "it doesn't matter" crap. The guy just looked at my owner's manual, said he would order it, and thanks for bringing it to their attention. Week later it's on the shelves.

Awesome group here bringing the topic forward ... saved me a lot of head aches.

Rob

Old 01-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

Just got all my fluids changed at the dealer this week. I've got about 34 hours on my '07 500 Sportsman. The dealer said I really didn't need to change all the fluids yet but he agreed that it couldn't hurt.

I also picked up a service manual.

Total bill with service manual, changing oil, filter, antifreeze, demand drive, and gear case: $180.15

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners