ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dande

My 08 X2 is not a Deluxe and does have "ADC"</end quote></div>

In 07 if you bought a deluxe it will have adc if it was not a deluxe in 07 it will not have adc. in 08 wether it is a deluxe or a standard model they both come with adc. I hope this solves your confusion now..................

Old 07-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117

I purchased my 800 new in August 2007. I changed the engine oil at 15 hours, just because I thought it was a good idea.

Now at only 34 hours (248 miles) I decided to change the rest of the fluids today. Good thing, because they looked terrible.

The rear gearcase fluid was grey......looked like it had silver antiseize lubricant mixed in. The fresh Polaris Angle Drive Fluid was normal honey-colored.

The transmission oil dark-colored, but otherwise didn't look too bad. The fresh Polaris Automatic Gearcase Lubricant was purple-colored.

The other thing I noticed about the drain plug was that it was ground slightly by something internal, like the chain. This was consistent with previous posts where guys have described the drain plug being slightly too long. I wasn't prepared to do anything with the plug and was forced the reinstall it temporarily. The main obstacle in draining this fluid was that I had to remove the Moose snow plow bottom mounting plate to get to the drain plug.

The front differential fluid was thick and dirty, and the drain plug had a huge glob of gunk attached to it, which obviously was finely ground metal particles adhered to the magnet on the tip of the drain plug. The fresh Polaris Demand Drive Fluid was thin and green-colored.

The point of this post is to bring awareness to the importance of NOT waiting for the factory interval for changing these fluid, at least for the first change. Obviously the parts are new and need to be worn it, which resulted in the oil becoming contaminated quicker than normal. I couldn't imagine how bad these fluids would have been with another 50 hours on them before the first year was up. As I recall, the manual called for changing these fluids annually. I am so glad that I didn't wait until then.

If you guys with new Sportman's can do it, change these fluids early!!!!!!</end quote></div>

just an update on an old post that sheep smartly started im in the process of changing the trans. fluid and sure enough like sheep mentioned my draain plug is ground down and its because of the chain inside which is extremly loose. i dont now if it can be tightened like a cam chain or not(i'll go read the manual after) but im doubting it. just wanted to show you guys and maybe make you check on yours. im going to somehow either grind mine down or cut it down so it doesnt hit any more. here is a picture of the plug if it comes out.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i just got down grindging the drain plug down and reinstalledand filled. took it for a ride and realized half the noise it used to make is gone. it now sounds like my 06' 800 used to w/ the same drive line back lash noise. but no where like it was. thought you 800 owners would like to know.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

stendori do you think the chain stretched or was it rubbing on the plug since it was new?? How many miles on your machine??

Old 07-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

been doing it since new w/ only 240 miles on it.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quad 4

What I could tell after some research is.....the HILLIARD front diff on POLARIS with ADC could use MOBIL OIL 424 and MOBIL fluid LT. You could use kawasaki TDH, same as mobil fluid 424. ADC is Hydraulic oil.

That what I learn...with research</end quote></div>

Well after reading on the Mobil site I agree with quad4 that the Mobil424 should be a suitable oil for the front gear case on bikes with ADC and will not hurt the clutch packs. If you read the specs and the applications it should be good for the transmissions also.
.................................................. .................................................. ...................

Mobil424 Features&gt;&gt;&gt;

Advantages and Potential Benefits
Enhanced frictional properties Optimised clutch and PTO performance
improved wet brake and PTO chatter control
Compatible with latest clutch materials and elastomers Longer clutch life and reduced leakage
High viscosity index and shear stability Consistent operating response
Excellent protection against rust, corrosion and yellow metal etching Protects equipment in wet or humid environments and prevents premature wear
Excellent low temperature properties Responsive operation and effective lubrication in cold weather applications
Strong anti-wear and extreme pressure properties Reduces wear, extends equipment life, and reduces maintenance costs
Excellent thermal and oxidation stability Reduces deposits, extends seal life, and increases service life of equipment and lubricant
Multipurpose capability Simplifies inventory and reduces misapplication problems
Good filterability Keeps systems clean and operating smoothly

Applications

* Heavy-duty transmissions, differentials, final drives, hydraulic systems, power steering systems, wet brakes, PTOs and hydrostatic drives
* Recommended in off-highway industries including: agriculture, construction, and quarrying
* Recommended for top-up and refill of systems
* Suitable for commercial transmission applications requiring Type A (Suffix A), Dexron and Type F fluids. Do not use in passenger car automatic transmissions
* May be used in applications requiring API GL-4 or SAE 80W grade lubricants in all gear applications except hypoid gear designs
* Outstanding replacement for engine oils recommended for hydraulic and transmission systems

.................................................. .................................................. ................
Could probably run the Mobil424 in the read diff also.....

Old 07-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

imo,for the little extra it cost for the polaris brand front end fluid i wouldnt chance anything to mess up the adc system like what happened to sheep's bike. i'll stick to the LT fluid when i get a chance to buy it.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

So if I understand correctly, you can us the premium DDF ok as long as you do not use ADC. if you used the ADC you need the LT DDF.???

Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

If the bike has ADC use the LT fluid by all means....

Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Well stopped into my closest dealer(2HRS away) yesterday to pick up the LT oil for the front diff and they didn't have any. Parts guy told me everyone was using the demand drive oil and when I told him about the LT for the ADC clutch packs ect. he looked at me like I was from Mars. Now I am giving the mobil424 serious consideration for both the front diff and transmission. On a side note I wanted to order the lock and ride storage box for the Touring model I had to give them the part # because they didn't know of it either......

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: New Sportsman Owners