Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 Polaris Spotsman Winch and Starter relay Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Polaris Spotsman Winch and Starter relay Problems.

Instaled a polaris 2500 winch. starter relay went to hell. just busses if i try to start with key, can pull start. sometimes when i use the winch, it does not want to pull me out of a not so tough situation. the winch pack that u hook all your battery cables to is bussing too when it does'nt wan to pull. . and its killing my battery, everything is hooked up correctly. Today i installed a Glacier Plow Systen and the winch does not even want to lift that. and it stalled out at low idol and it does not want to stay running at low idol. it normaly starts in one pull. took severall pulls to start and then it stalles at low idol again, its like my electrical system is not sufficiant for this winch. i still have to replace the relay switch and plan to asap. So i'm just wondering is ther more i need to do to improve the electricle system. or did my winch short out the relay and killed my battery. Any help wou'ld be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first of all your lucky if you had a dead battery that you could even pull start it as these new bikes need a good 12.8 volt charge to keep the bike running correctly. if this is a 07' why did the solnoide go bad already?? if the winch is hooked up correctly(what is it for a winch) are you sure the wires didnt chaff on some where and is shorting it out? is the contacter(relay you call it) wired right and is it not shorting out. maybe the winch is not working correctly and motor is dragging causing an excess drain. these wheelers dont have great charging systems and you are mostly running off the battery when using the winch. check the dispaly w/ it not running and running to see what the bike is putting out for volts and get back to us.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. 3 dead cells in battery. I have never had good luck with polaris batterys. But they did warrenty it. wonder how long this one will last. Baught a battery tender to. Now if they would fix my bombardier that they have had for 5 months i might be happy. Warrenty Work, Always sits on the back burner.