Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front suspension problem...help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension problem...help

Just bought a VERY used 2000 Sportsman 500.Right front suspension will not move at all. I have greased everything, with no change. Maybe the strut is locked up? Anybody ever seen this?
TIA

Old 12-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

The only movng parts up there would be the strut and A-arm pivots.

You say it won't move AT ALL? Have you tried putting your weight on just that corner? It won't compress? If it's locked up completely, it shouldn't be difficult to trouble shoot.

What happens if you try to jack up the front end? Try placing a floor jack under the front differential (frame area if possible) and jack up the front end. What you should look for is the bike to rise a little with the tires still on the ground. What you're doing is extending the struts all the way before the tires will actually come off the ground (eliminating the "sag"). Compare the two sides, if the front right strut is locked up, you might notice it while you're jacking it up.

You could also try disconnecting the top of the strut from the frame/tower mount. Once disconnected, you could remove the spring and then manually move the strut and A-arm up and down. What you should look for now is free movement of the A-arm. If it moves freely and without any binding or locking up, then is possible that the front strut cartridge is bad.

Check this SCHEMATIC, it shows the strut at about $100.00. You might be able to get it cheaper from other sources. See if you can isolate the problem, its either sticking or binding at the A-arm pivot bolts or the strut.

I'm assuming that the ATV runs and moves down the road/trail wihtout a problem?

Old 12-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

My svelte 265lbs will not make it compress. Drives fine,but rides like garbage. I wondered if someone here may have ran into this before. I have been riding/wrenching on bikes and ATVs for nearly 30 yrs, never ran across this.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

never seen a siezed strut??? could be bent..i see it at the shop a few times a year!

Old 12-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had on strut lock up just like that on the front of a Yamaha Exciter snowmobile..........

It was a bent dampening rod in the strut itself!!!!!!....The one with the threaded end (compression and rebound Rod)..........Is there any visual damage to the coil or strut?...........You may not even see it!!..........Caper............Hope that helps

One other thing it may be ............RUSTED!!!!.........Is the steel rod shinny?
It may not go back in the strut if it is full of rust!!!!!