Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATTN: Polaris V-Plow Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN: Polaris V-Plow Owners

I've been thinking seriously about getting a blade for my SP700 - until this year. We got DUMPED on this year, like we used to every year about ten years ago. Then it rained on the snow and we ended up with 2-3 feet of a very heavy ice/snow mix. Absolutely no way an ATV could have possibly pushed it anywhere. An actual snowblower couldn't get through it, either. Fortunately I have a Case 580SK loader/backhoe, and that was able to cut through this concrete-like stuff one bucketful at a time. Slow going but I was the only guy in the entire neighborhood with a cleared driveway. I ended up plowing the street so the neighbors could get in and out.

If you already have a snowblower, I'm not sure an ATV plow really adds much to your toolkit. Sure, if the snow is light and you get out there immediately, it probably helps. But if it has much chance to settle and get heavy, all you're doing is pushing the snow aside a bit. As it piles up, eventually an ATV won't be able to move the old or the new stuff and you'll have an ever-narrowing path bordered by concrete-like snow and ice. You really have to pick it up and MOVE it somewhere, not just push it around.

Things might be different in locales where you don't get much snow. We've received over six feet so far this season, and some outlying areas are over 150 inches of snowfall with several feet on each side of every road. I love my SP700 but there's no way it can deal with that.