Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris 700 No Spark when hot

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris 700 No Spark when hot

I'll try again, when my 2002 non EFI Polaris 700 get's warm it dies and has no spark. I tried again after cool and it runs fine. Had RM Stator rebuild my stator thinking this was the problem. Put in rebuilt stator fired up, ran great, then died no spark. I looked on the polaris breakdown and do not see a CDI anywhere. There is a ignition coil but see no mention of CDI. i put new wires,plugs, and rebuilt stator. The only thing I can think is the coil. But thinking coils are either good or bad. Have you ever seen a coil act this way? Any takers?

Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes rd i've seen both the CDI and the coil go bad , but rarely both at the same time ; but there should be one all atv's and motorcycles have had them since they did away with the old breaker points and condenser type ignition's but i don't have a manual that cover anything bigger than the trail boss !

How ever i did have a good friend who had a 1994 Polais Sportsman 500 AWD 4x4 that he got drunk and backed it off into a cattle pond on his families farm , he left it in the pond all night and got some of his hired hand's to fish it out ; then he let 4 or 5 people try to fix it for him they had stripped everything from the quad and it took over six month's for them to find all the part's that were scrattered around at 4 or 5 location's !

They tried to replace the ignition switch with one that was for an International truck , i found out what was wrong with it before they finally found all the part's it was only the coil wire ; but like i said it took over 6 month's before they found the CDI and the rest of the part's !

When they finally rounded up all the part's he had already bought a new 2007 700 EFI , and even though he had paid me over $400.00 ; after i took it back to his wreaking yard he gave me a clear title and told me to keep it so i could go riding with him !

The old 94' Sportsman 500 had one of the best chassis i had ever seen on a quad , but where i ride all the time is real steep mountain terrain with rock and bolder's and it didn't have engine braking ; which i had to ride the brakes to much riding these steep mountain trail's !

But before i sold it i took it back to him and told he could have it back , because i was going to sell it if he didn't won't ti back ; but he told me it was mine and i could do what i wanted to do with it !

I had a 86' Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 and a 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 KQ and both these quad;s have good engine braking , so i sold it to a friend for $800 cash ; and i even offered him half or even all the money i got for it but he wouldn't take a penney of the money !............

Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

There it is again another double post !......

Old 01-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

What you are describing is a classic coil failure.

The exact symptoms are very common on industrial mowers. Work great cold, no spark when hot. Let it cool, and it is good again for a while.

Replace the coil and you will be rolling again. Too bad you spent the money on the rest before geting to this point!!!

deej

Old 01-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yep,sounds like the coil breaking down.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 02 700 did the same thing but it ended up being the Pickup coil. I would let it set and then it would fire right up and run til it got hot. I tested the pickup coil resistance and it would read withing spec after sitting for a while, but if i tested it again right after the thing died, the pickup coil would be out of spec and slowly the resistance would come back to within spec and then it would start.

I dont trust RM stator worth a crap. They dont have the right pickup for the 02 700 even though their site says they do. I ordered it and then the sent me the wrong part, so i sent it back then they sent me the "correct" part number that was listed for the 02 700 via their website, but it came no where close to fitting.

I think all they do during the stator rebuild is redo everything except for the pickup coil, but thats just speculation at this point. Im done dealing with them as they have sent me the wrong part 3 times.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Deej you know i worked as a ceritified factory technition for over 20 yrs. and i had a lady i went to school with from the 5th grade all the way to high school , i had known her and her family since grade school ; she called me one day to tell me my best friend who lived on the same street had told her i ran a Small Engine Service And Repair Shop from my home !

She ask me if i would come over and look at her John Deere riding mower , she told me that her husband had taken it back to the dealer they bought it from 6 time's and everytime they would charge them 20 to 30 dollars ; and tell them they had it fixed each time they would pick it up it would start fine !

And it would run as long as they didn't turn it off while it was hot , but if they turned it off to move something out of the way or to refill the fuel tank it wouldn't start again ; i told her i would come right over because she lived a mile away from my home !

I went over and they showed me how it would do , my first thought that it was the pickup coil and it was powered by a 10hp Kawasaki engine ; i told her that i would have to take to my shop for the repair they loaded it up on my pickup and i took it home !

I didn't even take it off my truck , i check the coil and it showed good and after running the engine till it got hot i tested it under load ; i had the test equipment to check out the ignition without removing any parts and it still showed good !

I went over to the Dealership where they purchased it new , i went straight to the parts department told them i need a igniter for the 10 hp Kwasaki engine on the rider that they had bought from them and had been brought in by the owner 6 time's ; and all 6 time's they were told it was fixed !

The part's man called one of the machanic's that had worked on it before , he ask me what the problem was , and i told him yall have had this thing brought in for repair 6 time's and have charged the customer at least $100.00 ; and it's still has the same problem that's what the problem is !

The Machanic thought that just because i didn't have a John Deere uniform on that i was just some dumb hick , and he tired to sell me the pickup coil instead of the igniter ; i told him if they didn't want to give me the igniter that i would hurt them by telling all my customer's about how they didn't have a qualfied machanic working on the equipment they sell !

I told the parts guy to let me speak to the owner of the Dealership and that i knew the owner over 20 yrs. , the machanic thought i was bluffing them ; so they called the owner from his office with he saw me he said willie what can i do for you ?

I told him of the problem and with out skipping a beat he told the parts guy to give me what i ask for at no charge , the Machanic wasn't factory certified but he insisted that i needed a new pick up coil also ; so the owner told them to give me both at no charge !

He told me he was sorry for the trouble , patted me on my shoulder and told me if i ever desided to come to work for him to just come on over ; that he would have more work than i could do in a month of sundays !

I told him thank's and if i ever do go to work at any Dealership it would be his , but that with me being totally disabled after loosing both leg's below the knee's since 75 ' ; that i only worked on family and friend's machine's and they keep me covered up and i didn't charge high labor charge for my customer's !

I went home installed the igniter fired it up untill it was hot , shut it down ; turned the key and with one pull of the rope it fired right up !

I took it over to my friend where they unloaded it , they ask me if it would run and restart after it get's hot ; i told the husband to check it out for himself !

They were happy with the repair , and have been a good customer from that time untill i closed my shop in 2000 ; i charged them $89.00 for parts and labor + i gave them the pickup coil which cost $78.99 + tax at the Dealership and told them they may never need it but if they did they would have the part and i would install it free of charge if the original ever failed !

That has been over 15 yrs ago and i have had to do repair's on the rider 2 time's since then , once was the mower deck pulley cracked at the welded spot's which i replaced with an industrial pulley and the 2nd it was only a loose spark plug ; I still get offer's from every Dealership i go to for part's for myself , family and friend's but i'm just about worn out and it keep's me busy just trying keep up my own !..........