Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 Engine Squeak - Help please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
jsa
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700 Engine Squeak - Help please?

Hello,

New guy here. Great forum! I hope somebody here can help me with a little problem I have with my quad.

I have a 2005 Sportsman 700 EFI Twin with about 500 miles on it. Lately, I have noticed a "squeak" or "chirping" sound coming from the engine area when the machine is idling. When out of gear, this sound continues as the engine is revved, up to about 2000 rpm, then quits.

This sound diminishes/goes away as soon as the quad is ridden a bit, but not if it is simply left idling in one place, which makes me suspect a drive component rather than the engine itself.

The quad has about 3 miles on a new belt, and it gets very regular fluid and filter changes. The squeak existed prior to the belt change, and the sound is not weather-related. Also, it squeaks regardless of the gear selector position.

Any ideas??? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

Well I have an 04.5 sp 500 and the exact same thing has started to happen with mine. I spent a little time and looked for where the sound was comming from at idle and it was comming from under the clutch cover. But like you said it goes away after you ride it for a while so I have just left it. I will probably look more this spring when it warms up outside. Hopefully some one on here comes up with a better idea...

Old 01-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it could be the drive clutch it self doing it. maybe alot of belt dust built up unless you cleaned by blowing it out before you put new belt on. if you took off the belt and started it and still making the noise then you can rule out drive train and drive line. my guess is the drive clutch(engine) thats making the sound.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Mine makes a very light squeal at times, and only while backing off the throttle and the revs come back down toward idle. It has a "belt" noise, not much different from a car engine with a noisy belt. So I would say that it is belt/clutch related. Best thing to do would be to remove the PVT cover and check it from there. Just don't get your fingers or any type of clothing near the clutch if the engine is running.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had similar problem with my 06 800 EFI and I thought it was the belt making a squeal noise when I first hit the throttle. As the engine RPM increased the noise went away but when I let off the throttle and the RPM came back down to idle I would hear the squeal momentarily again. Very frustrating.

I finally figured out that it was coming from where the muffler and exhaust pipe are connected and it was caused by a deformed muffler gasket (round donut style gasket). The gasket would resonate against the pipe and make a squealling noise. I thought my problem was belt or clutch related for a long time until I found the true cause. Hope this helps.