Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Supertrapp IDSX muffler

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supertrapp IDSX muffler

Just ordered one the other day, should be here next week. I won't get it installed until spring though.

After doing some experimenting with my stock exhaust system and the Benz Silencer, I finally got it quiet enough for snowplowing around the house so I don't wake the kids at night or bother the neighbors in the morning.

The drawback I just found out a few days ago, was a huge loss of power at half throttle. I'm sure it was due to increased back-pressure, which I never noticed or felt while snowplowing, since most of that is done at about 10 mph. But I took it up the road to plow out a neighbor, and when I went to open in up a little, it didn't want to get about 25 mph without A LOT of throttle. This wasn't a problem before the Benz Silencer, which led me to a new muffler solution.

What I'll do is use the Stock/Benz set-up only for winter, and use the Supertrapp for the rest of the season. Being that I have sensitive hearing, I'll probably end up wearing earplugs while I ride with the Supertrapp, but hopefully it will be quiet enough that it won't be a huge issue.

When I get the Supertrapp next week, I'll take some pics of it inside and out, so you all can see how its constructed, etc. As of the day I ordered it, I could not find any pictures anywhere that showed the internal construction. I suspect it's much like the IDS2 with quiet core, but I'll find out for sure next week.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is this going to have the tunable removable disk on it or it it a regual style exhaust. i know on my vmax i ran it w/ the disk style and could change the sound and perforcemance by the number of disk on the exhaust.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:07 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Keep in mind that most aftermarket systems produce power in a narrower band than the stock system. You probably are aware of this but posted just in case.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

My 800 had the best performance from the factory dual muffler set-up. Revved very freely, no flat spots, ect.

When I switched to the factory single muffler set-up, I noticed a slight reduction in power. Now with the Benz attached to the single muffler, is has a huge flat spot in the midrange, which is exactly where I don't want it. If all I lost was top end then I probably wouldn't even notice it, but losing power at 25 mph isn't going to cut it.

Stendori, the IDSX is an internal-disc (tuneable for sound and backpressure) style.

If I get the same performance from it as I had with the factory duals, then I'd be extremely satisfied.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

well if its anything like the ones i had on my bike then the more disk you put on it the louder it would become. also theres a cetain of disk you can use before regetting on a carb but maybe it wouldnt needed to be remapped on our efi's.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have this mounted up yet, but thought I'd post some pics on it.

This pic shows that the cannister/ body of the IDSX and stock 800 muffler are the same length.

This pic shows that based upon the mounting point, the IDSX will stick out farther to the rear of the ATV than the stock muffler does.

This pic shows how the IDSX cannister's body has a slightly smaller diameter than the stocker.

This pic shows the mounting point of the IDSX, the welds are clean and seem pretty solid.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

boy it loos like that would be alot louder of an exhaust. time will tell for sure.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

According to the description in Dennis Kirk, this muffler retains the stock decibel level. I'm anxious to find out!

Old 03-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Just mounted it up today. With the minimum number of discs (8) that Supertrapp recommended, its definitely louder than stock but the performance is back for sure. I'm going to take one disc out and see how it sounds.

I'll post a video with sound when I get a little bit more time.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

if its anything like my bikes s.trapp the more dics you have the louder it is.

Quick Reply: Supertrapp IDSX muffler