Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

grease fitting locations on a 01 magnum 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the new steering bushing have a gease fitting? I can't find one. Also is there any grease locations on the rear axle? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-15-2001, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

I have a 2001 Sportsman HO and wondered the same thing. I cannot find a grease fitting anywhere on the steering stem (top or bottom). I have found 23 grease fittings on mine and supposedly that's how many there are on the SPHO's. I guess with the new steering design and bearing, they scrapped the greas zercs. I know some of the previous year model Polarises had a grease fitting at the top of the stem, but I've looked all over mine and could not find one. Seems odd not to have some? I'm guess I'm going to have to see what I can do with a grease needle.

Sorry I'm not much help in regards to your question about the rear axle.

Old 01-15-2001, 11:44 PM
Range Rover

Here are some grease fittings I recently found.

1-inside the rear swingarm on the rear drive shaft there is a fitting on the slip-joint. Didnt know it was there until it was too late and had to have it replaced.

2-on the bottom of the strut housing facing the rear of the quad is a fitting for greasing the bottom ball-joint. It can be seen if you turn the wheel and look in the wheel well. The rest of the guys who ride Polaris' with us didnt even know that on was there.

3-under the front cover there is a grease fitting for the upper steering bushing. You may have to search, but its there.

4-I dont know about the new polaris', but there is a grease fitting for the lower steering bushing on the steering stem itself. You would think it would be on the bushing but its not.

5-I also remove the nut on top of the struts about every 6 months to grease the plastic bushing on the top of the strut. This reduces where and it is not as hard as you may think.

If anyone can find a grease fitting for the rear swingarm bushings on the Magnum, let me know. Still havent found that one!

Hope this helps!

Old 01-16-2001, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input. The Manual shows several fittings that don't exist and I found others that were not shown.