Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 sportsman help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 sportsman help

Ok lads and lasses, I need help from the deepest depths of South Western Australia( no polaris dealers here!). I have the 98 sportsman thats been used and abused by the previous owner, the body and suspension I can fix but the rattles and knocks that come out if the engine I must delve further in to find whats wrong. Has anybody got any tips as to how this engine comes apart, what things should I be checking ie tollerances and torque settings that I will need. Being that it is all most all roller bearing stuff how do I check for movement etc. Thanks in advance. Cheers Bob

Old 02-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you could adjust the valves if someone gives you the specs. what is it doing and how many miles on it? if your going to get into the engine i would buy a service manual for it for sure.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

yea i would gues you are talking about some valve tap

Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, its definitly not valve noise it comes from around the cam chain drive , its a real slapping mechanical clatter. Pulled the motor out today and head off. all looks fine up top. Tell me , the cam drive sprocket, should there be any rotational movement back and forth, I have about 1mm of slop?????. Also when I look at the magneto locating key , it appears to have been half sheared rotationally ie the mag is about two to three degrees twisted on its axiss. Don't know how this could have happened as the lock nut was tight as. Also whats the trick to removing the barrel.
Cheers Bob

Old 02-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the primary clutch before tearing into the motor?If the slide buttons get worn it will knock and travel all over the bike.
Best to start it with the clutch off thet bike to eliminate the clutch as being the trouble

Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

yeh thanks ftwflh, done that, no difference, I'm pretty reved up about the play in the cam drive, can't see how that could be natural but I also can't see how it would make such a racket unless something else is loose. will report tomorrow as I have just borrowed a puller to get the magneto off and then I should be able to see all!!! PS I see also that the backing plate that the mag stator bolts onto has some adjustment, is this for the timing and if so how is it done. Thanks again all ideas appreciated. Bob

Old 02-27-2008, 04:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well pulled the flywheel off today and found that the castle nut holding the cam chain drive sprocket was loose and that the sprocket was moving on the key, have ordered new parts, hope it makes a difference. Still can't see how that would make all the noise that I was getting, will have to wait and see. cheers Bob