Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Sawtooth starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:23 PM
mns
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Sawtooth starting problems

I bought my daughters a new 2006 Sawtooth thats been ridden one time. Two different weekends were spoiled when the machine wouldn't start. The weather had turned cold and I haven't been able to ride. My warranty runs out in March, so I decided to see if I could start it. 3/4 of a day , it finally started. I've checked and cleaned the carb, gapped the plug at .017 to .020, and tried new gas. No success. Once I get it started, it runs good and starts easy.
I've given up on the dealer. Another dealer told me it might need a bigger pilot jet(if nothing is broken I would have to pay).
I have a 35 pilot jet. If anyone would have a suggestion I would appreciate it.

THANKS

Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 PM
mns
Weekend Warrior

Please, if any suggestions. Thanks

Old 02-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Range Rover

Is the pilot jet clear? The hole is really small and clogs in short order with 10% ethanol in fuel. Clogged pilot is probably the #1 cause of no-start. Did you check the plug to see if it was wet (Getting gas) Is choke working? I have an 05 Phoenix and it fires right up with a stab of the ebutton. Even when its below 20 outside so something is certainly not right. If you getting gas to the cylinder, try a new spark plug. My brother just went through this. He was going crazy trying to get his bike started. He had a brand new plug in it so he figured it couldn't possibly be that...finally stuck another new plug in and it started right up. Faulty plug is probably not common but it warrants checking out since it easy to try. If you have compression then its a spark or fuel issue. for what its worth, the Phoenix is a decent machine....my wife loves it.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:58 PM
mns
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. There's a good chance it 's a plugged pilot jet. I wasn't able to see through it at first, but I thought it was my eyes. I'll put it back together in the next few days with a little more confidence.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

The mixture is too lean at idle, even with the choke, so you'll need to prime the system in addition to the choke. The manual says nothing about this, but give it a try. Here's what to to.

Prior to pushing the starter button, give it full throttle two or three times, then hold the throttle about 1/8 of the way open and push the start button. If it doesn't fire within a few seconds, repeat the procedure AND use an additional two pumps of the throttle. It should start with this procedure, it's worked for me for years on various engines.
Once it starts you'll have to sit there and work the throttle and clutch until it's warm enough to idle on it's own. If you just walk away it will die.

If that doesn't work for you, try some starting fluid.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Range Rover

Pumping the throttle will do nothing for the Sawtooth or Phoenix. It is the most basic carburetor and that only works on Carbureted engines that have accelerator pumps. the Phoenix/Sawtooth do not. My wifes starts with just a tap of the button. I'm betting on a clogged pilot jet, the most common cause with ethanol oxygenated fuel. You should need starting fluid.....if you do, something is wrong. Make sure you add Stabil to fuel once you get it clean or drain float bowl when finished riding.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

While you have the carb apart, spray carb cleaner in every jet and every hole , while looking at the bottom of the carb you'll see a brass plug, under this is the air fuel screw, take a small drill bit and drill through the plug, you will feel the bit go through then hit the screw under it, the plug is only about 1/4 inch so dont drill too far. Take a metal screw and thread into the plug, then put vice grips on it and turn to the right and pull, the plug will come out and you can adjust the air screw under it, 2 to 2.5 turns will be about right . Throw the plug away.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

You have to be very careful not to hit the screw underneath, as if you do and the drill bit grabs it, it will crank the screw and eff up your carb badly.