Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Gorilla Winch 3000#

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla Winch 3000#

Well, I just bought a Gorilla Wicn. It is the 3000# model along with the mounting plate from Ebay. Paid under $150 including shipping. It fit in between the headlights in the little recessed area. I had to take the fron off the bike to remove the filler part to be able to mount the bracket. The mounting kit was OK, along with the fairlead plate. Two bolts to mount them together and four to attach it to the bike, ran the wires (what little bit they provide down the right side of the bike and up behind the air box using wire loom). I had just enough wire to make the connections to the battery. The contactor box was in an enclosed plastic box which sit up agaist the plate (I could have drililed and mounted with screws but decided to us dbl sided tape). I ran the power leads to the winch with no probs. Next I ran the switch through the light pod and used the cig power for power, then plugged into back of contacter housing. It took me about an hour from start to finsh. I tie wraped everything down snug. Then it was time for the smoke test! None came out and the winch run like a dream. It was a little bit loud for me but hey, if your but is stuck in the woods whats a little noise to get out right. I had to tighten the nuts and bolts down again to make sure I would lose anything later on. This winch has the "blue" rope on it, a hawse and even a big rubber stop puck so as to not draw the hook into the cage. As this is my first winch I think I would use Gorilla Winches again. What kind of issues has anyone else had with their Gorillas?

Old 03-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

none whatso ever if you bought from the main guy on ebay you will be able to get almost anything you need for free or close to it for a year or 2 i was able to get a whole new wiring kit switch remote solonoids everything. i have bought 3 winches from him.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2 or 3 yrs ago by buddu had issues w/ his 3000 gorilla but for the price its a pretty good deal.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cant comment on the winch yet but I ordered the 3000 and twice got the wrong hardware so 3 weeks later I finally get a chance to to try again and the winch just spins it gears and doesnt operate. I cant even get the winch to freespool. I spoke with a guy today and they said there going to ship another one. I think on the box it says hassle free garantee..... Im not giving up yet but i.ve reached my frustration rev limiter. Keep you posted

Old 03-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used mine Gorilla 3000lb for the first time 2 days ago and it failed! ( i also received the wrong mounting plate on the original order! ). I was up north by Green Bay WI on a atv trip and got stuck in 3+ feet of snow. The winch pulled me all of maybe 2-3 feet and the gears started to slip. It did not have the power after that to get me out. I was lucky enough that there was a hard packed trail next to me so I went and got the pickup and was able to pull myself out with it. Man what a problem i would have had if I was not able to drive the truck down! I did contact Gorilla and a new motor is on the way. I had tested it several times prior to the trip to check on the power. I pulled the atv into the pickup and also lifted the front of the quad by connecting it to the rafters in the garage. It worked find then. I am worried this will happen again!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MrThor

I just used mine Gorilla 3000lb for the first time 2 days ago and it failed! ( i also received the wrong mounting plate on the original order! ). I was up north by Green Bay WI on a atv trip and got stuck in 3+ feet of snow. The winch pulled me all of maybe 2-3 feet and the gears started to slip. It did not have the power after that to get me out. I was lucky enough that there was a hard packed trail next to me so I went and got the pickup and was able to pull myself out with it. Man what a problem i would have had if I was not able to drive the truck down! I did contact Gorilla and a new motor is on the way. I had tested it several times prior to the trip to check on the power. I pulled the atv into the pickup and also lifted the front of the quad by connecting it to the rafters in the garage. It worked find then. I am worried this will happen again!</end quote></div>

did the winch look like this without supports over the cable? those are the main type that gorrila makes that i think is garbage.Name:  VORTEXBRUTEATV2000BASIC.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  35.3 KB i had that type but i don't think they make the like that anymore now they have the supports like there suposed 2 like warn. hears a pick of what i have.Name:  3000cr_gallery.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  9.4 KBits great for recovery plowing and around the yard.ive used it for everything.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

No it was the one with the blue steel synthetic rope as shown in the bottom picture.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

o wow never had a prob with mine how stuck were you did you go over eh pull stregth? was teh motor reealy under presure before it broke?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Up to the top of my tires at the worst part. I really at the time did not think it was that bad, The winch did pull me maybe 3 feet before saying goodbye! The winch is rated at 3K and it never should have died out.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

o well there wprob was just a problem with something at least they are making good.

Quick Reply: Gorilla Winch 3000#