Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cracked my fender, any good cures or home remidies

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 96 scrambler 400 I cracked the rear fender just above the tire. It was real cold out (-30 degrees C) and my fenders were pretty much frozen and my buddie bumped into it and it cracked, starting at the back and going about 6 inches towards the front.
I just want something to make it look pretty nice again without buying new fenders.
Please, if anyone has an idea pleas reply.
Thanks

Old 01-16-2001, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Here's one me and my buddy heard about, and tried on his Blaster two years ago, it's still holding up.

Take some 100 grit sandpaper, get it between the crack, and slide it back and forth to rough up the plastic. Get a hot glue gun, have your buddy hold the crack together, while you apply glue to the underside of the crack. Make sure you get some glue in the crack. When its all dried, chip the glue off that is visible.

Old 01-16-2001, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

I too have had tried to fix up cracked plastic on my 00 SP, mostly the black nylon mud flaps. I have tried JB weld, but it dries to a nastier look than the crack itself. The best bet is to try to "weld" the plastic back together using an epoxy. Come spring I'm going to try a fiberglass and resin repair, to see if that will hold. Otherwise, I'll just keep that war wound on the quad to brag about 50 foot jumps and multiple rolls...hehehe.

Old 01-17-2001, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

Here's the best, longest lasting fix. First drill a 1/8 inch hole at the end of the crack to keep it from going any further. Next, drill a series of holes on either side of the crack, from beginning to end about 1" apart and directly across from each other. Next, use zip ties the same color as your plastic and sew the crack shut, like stitches. This is the FRANKENSTEIN approach, but looks good and will hold probably for the life of the bike! Anyone who has broken their share of plastic will tell you that this is the way to go.

Old 01-17-2001, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider

Take a look at this.
http://www.urethanesupply.com/atv.htm

I haven't tried it myself so I don't know anything about it but I have a fender crack and I was looking at this on the net.
If you try it let us know if it works.

Old 01-17-2001, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer

I had a Quadrunner with a huge break in the right front fender, all I did was use fiberglass resin with a little piece of the fiberglas mat. it work like a charm, never broke in the year I rode it after i fixed it. for better looks just use it on the under side of you plastic