Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Kodiak 400 vs. Polaris 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey rancheres~
If you knew anything about Polaris atv's, you would realize you just made yourself look like an idiot! "Quadfather, if the Polaris is so great why do you own a kodiak? Didn't like a 2 stroke chain quad or what?" Take a look at his signature and look at his other quad. It is exactly a 2 storke chain quad! Hey, here's something I've always wondered...why does Honda include a foot shifter in the tool kit of their ES models? Don't they have any confidence in their own product? Hell, I'd put my Explore400 up against your Rancher and blow you away in any situation! You're only 2 hours from me...want to take the chalenge???

Old 01-19-2001, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

LOL, must be Friday.

Ask 3TV he had a Kodiak and traded it in on Sportsman I believe.

Where is "The Rock" he was always a staunch defender of the Kodiak?

Old 01-19-2001, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

I realize that he has a scramber. But that is a so called sportbike and the utility bike is the kodiak (which I was making the comparision to).

You don't see me asking anyone for a challenge in the mud, but if we do get together I'll drive my sp500 and we'll see who wins the mud competition.

As respects the es question on the rancher, if you have a dead battery then you need to shift the quad somehow, that is the reason. Any more brilliant questions?

Old 01-19-2001, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not putting down my Kodiak, although I know that in the mud it will not perform as well as a Polaris. I have always liked Yamaha's utility quads. I rode them all, and decided a 4 stroke, shaft drive quad would hold up a little better at deer camp.

As far as my Sport goes, I couldn't be happier with it. I have yet to have my first problem with it. Like someone said here once, "if it's mechanical, you will have a problem sooner or later."

Old 01-19-2001, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FKNA,
You like challenges and its all about fun?I totally agree with you on that one my friend.

I have a little story to tell you,just like the one you told us guys about the guy on his Polaris who could'nt make the hill in 3 attempts,but you and your Kodiak do it on the first try.

My close friend Chuck and I were riding one day and arrived at this mudpit.I went in first with my 400cc 4x4 Xplorer and made it on the first attempt,however,Chuck on his 99 King Quad was stuck about 2/3 of the way in.He asked for someone to pull him out.I said get off the beast and let me show you how to do this without a tow rope.I proceeded to show Chuck more body english on an ATV then he's ever seen in his life and I drove the KQ out of the SAME spot that Chuck asked us to throw him the rope at!NOW HOW DID I DO THAT?

The moral of my story you ask?Just because you took your Kodiak up a muddy hill that your Polaris freind could'nt do in three tries means very little.Rider experience has alot to do with a ATVs ability to conquer or fail at certain stunts,so could be the story of your Kodiak vs your friends non stock Polaris on them hills?
Bill

Old 01-20-2001, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

I want some honest opinions on the Kodiak compared to the SP400. I'm not interested in competition, just want a fun ride. I ride mostly tight trails, some mud but not a lot of deep stuff. I want a reliable 4 stoke. i worry about the size/weight of the SP, some of my riding buddies have SP500's that are too wide for some of the trails. Any opinions would be great. I'll be riding both real soon.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2001, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

Rancheres

You can count me in!

Old 01-20-2001, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Bill,

You bring up a very good point. And you are 100% right. Hence the reason I presented the challenge in the first place. I'm fairly confident that my riding skills will make up for any disadvantages that my quad may have.

p.s. And the quad with those monster tires that couldn't make it up the hill and I could. You betcha, it all boiled down to rider skill. The owner of that Polaris should of made it up that incline with no sweat.

Old 01-20-2001, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

DaBoss,

If you are wanting to do a lot of trail riding, especially some tight trails, etc. I can only speak of the Kodiak since that is the quad I own. I have found that it handles very well on the trails, it's nimble, can make tight turns and is rather easy so swing the rear end around doing a power slide if you need/want to.

Old 01-22-2001, 05:27 PM
Range Rover

Whoah,

Been some action in here since last friday.

FKNA, we will be riding Spring Creek next saturday or sunday (all depends on group consensus). There will be 2 Polaris 400s in the group. A Scrambler 400 4x4 and a highly modded Sport 400. Also my bike and some other asstd. bikes. Come on out. We went last Saturday for about 12 hours and had a blast. There were some seriously scary mudholes out there due to all the rain. We hit this small ravine, with a 90 degree "L" bend to it, about 25-30 ft. high....very steep...and ugly mud with a serious "tree-root staircase" for the last 10-12ft. All of the Polaris bikes made it....the 400ex and Warrior....well, they were walking their bikes up the stairs. Now, I'm not bragging (eyes rolling) but Yeehaw! Was a hell of a ride. One question, do you have a winch on your bike? That would come in handy. there were a few holes we didn't try just because we knew somebody in the group was going to get stuck and tow ropes only work so well. We can't seem to keep any utility riders in our group due to our admittedly excessive speed runs. (not to mention our irresponsible beer drinking fits).

[note: author does not condone or recommend drinking beer and riding 4-wheelers due to noted incidence of preventable accidents due to poor driver judgement. However, author admits to being a functional alcoholic with a lifelong love of suds and laments the fact that we can only drink the beloved nectar.]

Having said that and probably offending some folks), Bring it on dude.

Long post I know, my cable modem is fritzed at the house so I have to post at work. (Workers of the World Unite!)

FKNA, Devil's Hole is located about 3-400 yards off Spring Creek on the south side. It is about 2 miles from 1-45 and is near where the large 4-wheelers drop in to the creek. You can't miss it. It is about 400 sq. yards of the ugliest gnarliest mudholes all collected together. Local stories abound of it as the birthplace of the "Swamp Thing" and the "Jackelope"....this follows the theory that the ugliest animals come from the ugliest places.

Come see for yourself and please....bring extra undies, LOL

"Run Whut ya Brung"

Mr Man

Quick Reply: Kodiak 400 vs. Polaris 400