Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rpm limiter

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rpm limiter

Stendori, I have personaaly experienced the 700 limiter at 6300 rpm, Also, looking at the service manual for the 2006 700/800 it says 6500 +/- 200 rpm. So the limiter will hit anywhere from 6300 to 6700. Not sure how you hit 6800, maybe they raised it in 2008...

Old 04-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default rpm limiter

Ah..I didn't know about a sportsman, like I said, but Scramblers do not have a rev limiter. Perhaps the '08's do, but nothing from '07 on down does. Talk to Rick Ritter if you don't believe me, or visit the GEN3 forum.

I'm with what you say regarding not spinning a motor up that high, if it can't handle it, however, a motor will let you know when it's not happy. At that rpm this motor can handle it fine. Where the breaking point is I do not know. Now...the clutch mods so often spoke of on here and what Rick recommends can and will and does take the motor past 7k. I know of 7 different Scramblers with the SAME MODS as me (blk/wht primary), and some more heavily modded, and they too spin that high. They all have tachs to verify it as well. No problems with any of them to date.

What happens is people do not know what rpm they are running unless they tach the motor. It's very revealing once tached. Have you ever tached your 500? I'm not sure of the diff, if any, between the Scram and Sports, but I can tell you for sure they spin above 6300 and mild clutch tunes put them over 7k. I've personally seen it with a few diff machines and Rick Ritter told me the same thing...

Old 04-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default rpm limiter

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

i can tell you that 800's have a rev limiter. when you clutch is wrong you'll hit it w/ no problem lol. most engines these days have the limiters built into the cdi box i beleave so its not like you can change it. personally i wouldnt want to turn an engine that is suppose to max out at 6300 rpms and contuine to run it at 7300 w/ out some engine mods as it wont last as long as it should. imo.</end quote></div>

Where did you get that info? When I was interested I looked everywhere and asked many people what the limiter was..I was told by all, including my dealer..no limiter.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default rpm limiter

im not sure about the rev limiter on the 700 but i can tell you its not that low on 800 as ive turned mine 6800 w/out hitting it. their might be some leavy way in how acturate the limiters are. i agree w/ you about not running a 500 engine that high for any lenght of time.</end quote></div>

My Scrambler manual says the same thing (6500 +/- 200rpm), however, I have never bounced off the limiter.

Now, if a limiter is put in place to protect the motor, what's the problem running it to 7300? If this was a problem area Polaris would back the limiter down so it wasn't reached, I would think.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default rpm limiter

what does it sound like when you hit the RPM over rev limiter? what is floating the valves and what does that sound like?

Old 04-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default rpm limiter

I have read a few things that state the scrambler limits at 7500. If Polaris puts a limiter on to protect the motor, I would have to assume that it will do just that, protect the motor. I understand the motor will rev past this, but how safe is it? No, I never had a tach on my 500, although I can tell you it never ran at 7500 rpm..lol my clutching wouldnt allow it for one, and you know when a motor is running at 7500 rpm. I have to imagine there is a huge loss of power when you get that high in the rpm band.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default rpm limiter

what does it sound like when you hit the RPM over rev limiter?

the engine will sound like its cutting in and out.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default rpm limiter

What have you read? I could never find anything that positively stated that. Can you link me?

I have to say, if you never had a tach you don't know what the rpm's were. You can assume or take an educated guess, but that's as good as it gets. I don't know your clutch mods so that's certainly possible, but my Scrambler is mostly stock with a primary and secondary spring and postion change, that's it. Now, getting to 7300 is on a flat road full throttle for a good 1/2 mile, but 6000-7k spins up pretty quickly and every dyno chart I've seen shows the 500 still producing power up to 6900-7k. There is no valve float, no loss of power, but at 7300 you can tell there is no more power to be had..never squeezed it to 7500 so I don't know there.

In fact, Rick Ritter advises optimum shift out is 6800..so 7k is very easily obtainable.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default rpm limiter

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stebob

i got that info from me when i was tuning my clutches and trying difernt set ups for rick ritter when he sent he differnt springs and dalton kits. i agree that the engine will start to cut out when it reaches the limiter. i used to have a zx-6 that tacted 14,000 rpms and bounced off the limiter alot lol.

i can tell you that 800's have a rev limiter. when you clutch is wrong you'll hit it w/ no problem lol. most engines these days have the limiters built into the cdi box i beleave so its not like you can change it. personally i wouldnt want to turn an engine that is suppose to max out at 6300 rpms and contuine to run it at 7300 w/ out some engine mods as it wont last as long as it should. imo.</end quote></div>

Where did you get that info? When I was interested I looked everywhere and asked many people what the limiter was..I was told by all, including my dealer..no limiter.</end quote></div>

Old 04-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default rpm limiter

o, it sounds just like hitting the rpm limiter trying to back up, gotcha. but what is floating the valves?

Quick Reply: rpm limiter