Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rpm limiter

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rpm limiter

is it OK to remove the rpm limiter, or is it too high of a risk? my friend took it off his atv and its all good on his.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default rpm limiter

the thing about having a limiter is so you dont do damage to the egine like floating the valves. they all have thier breaking point.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default rpm limiter

just a question. what is the rpm limiter. what does it do. and where is it located.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default rpm limiter

i know all about the basics of what it does and why. basically, it controls the peak RPMs you can make. it is the box right above the thumb trigger and is the same box AWD is on if you have AWD. my friend has a yamaha 125 grizzly and he took his off and he races me on my hawkeye 4X4 onroad floored and he never has had any problems. does it control any other part of the throttle other than the peak stendori? and what is floating the valves?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default rpm limiter

do you even hit teh limeter i never hit mine on my scrambler or my sport. your clutch prob doesn't alow you 2.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default rpm limiter

Are you talking about the reverse over ride?? I think you might be. And if so the only thing you could hurt is yourself or someone using your bike.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default rpm limiter

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SCRAMMYTODD

Are you talking about the reverse over ride?? I think you might be. And if so the only thing you could hurt is yourself or someone using your bike.</end quote></div>

i think he is talking about the top speed rpm limeter in general.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default rpm limiter

its not the black box. thats the etc(prevents from having throttle stick wide open) the rev limiter is built in to say like the cdi to prevent you from over reving the engine to he point where its not able to stay together. the reverse override is to stop you from going the same speed backwards as forward. if your hitting the rev limiter, you have some clutching issues for sure. besides after you hit a certain peak rpm and go over that you are lossing power as you have gone beyond the power curve.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default rpm limiter

im talking about the RPM over-rev limiter. what does it sound or feel like when you hit the rpm limiter? how do you know? does it control anything else with RPMs other than REVERSE and OVER REV? and i saw a upgrade online for polaris atvs with ETC that supposedly gives you 1000 more RPMs, which i am guessing just changed the over rev limit. and if i did disengage the rpm limiter, would this help with acceleration, or just the top speed?

Old 04-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default rpm limiter

Not sure what bike your talking about but the Sportman's do not have a rev limiter in that "black box" above the throttle, the rev limiter is electronic and can not be changed, the only thing in the black box, is your ETC. Even if your could get at the rev limiter programming, all you would gain is top end, at the risk of doing serious damage. (and it would not amount to that much gain anyway.)

Quick Reply: rpm limiter