Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP! Electrical short? 99sprts500 after plugging into front accesory port.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Electrical short? 99sprts500 after plugging into front accesory port.

i searched and found that someone else had the same problem but i dont see an answer anywhere if anyone can help i will listen. I tried plugging a radio into the acc port on the pod and it smoked a little, i immediately unplugged it and the bike ran fine for like 2 hrs, then the speedo and all front electrics went out... the only thing that still works up front is the pod light. i can start it still by using the recoil but, no awd, speedo, indicator lights or elec start. please help with all ideas. I do have a clymer manual if that can help me at all. thanks again BEN

Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP! Electrical short? 99sprts500 after plugging into front accesory port.

You must have a fuse or fulable link gone out on you!!....Not sure where to tell you to look on the year!!..(no ECM in that year as I was told before)............Work you way back starting from the battery......Caper...............

Old 04-26-2008, 03:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the advice, i am still not finding the problem yet. if anyone has had the same issue please feel free to chime in.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you must have had a dead short maybe to make it do that. i dont think a radio would overload the power supply for sure. time to start tracing wire by the sounds.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, where exactly are the fuses and relays for this? I checked the battery and it is fine, it has full charge still and runs the lights and winch just fine. just no power to the pod lights , speedo and starter button? i talked to the service tech and he said its a common thing but just wanted me to bring it in for 55/hr labor....

Old 05-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Ben,

I believe the construction is the same as my 1998. The basics are certainly the same. The electrical is under the front "hood".

Remove the front plastic rack - easy chore - there are 4 large phillips head screws on the rack - look down and you will see the heads recessed in holes. Set the rack aside. Under the rack between the rack location and the underside of the headlight pod is a mini "hood" (10" wide x 18" high - or so) dead center on the machine between the front fenders. Remove the hood by sticking your fingers under the edges and in the vent holes on the bottom edge and lift up quickly. There are a couple of metal clips that snap into the framework under the hood. Watch out for them because they often fall out when taking the hood off. the hood hooks into slots up under the headlight pod.

Once the hood is off, all of the electrical is exposed. The fuses are under there and all other wiring.

To see the wiring at the back of the accessory plug, remove the 2 phillips screws on either side of the headlight pod. Lift the headlight pod up and slightly to one side to see underneight. Unscrewing the speedometer cable from the back of the speedometer will allow you to move the pod farther to one side (there will still be wires and choke cable attached).

Trace the wiring from the ACC plug down to the fuse panel area. Check for wires melted together or insulation melted off allowing shorting to metal. Also check for blown fuses. You will likley find both.

These problems are no usually difficult once you get in and inspect things carefully. If the insulation on the wires is simply melted and shorting to something, taping it with electrical tape is adequate. If it is severe, you may have to replace a wire or two.

From what you describe I would expect to see a bare wire somewhere from being overheated. Note that it may be bare in only a very small section - so close inspection is required. As you drove the machine, the wire likely moved around and shorted on something. The shorting likely caused a fuse or two to blow. Fix the shorted wire, replace the fuses with the correct sizes, and you will be set - I suspect!

There is nothing rocket science about this. Inspect carefully and you should find the problem. Let us know what you find.

DEEJ