Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Spark Arrestor Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Spark Arrestor Question

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I have riden behind a guy that had his spark arrestor removed, very noticable color coming out when he canned it and let off. I can tell you it was not less than a inch...less than 3" yes. It's not something that is like a flame thrower by any means but a "flame" non the less. Riding behind that guy at night, you noticed it every time he let off the throttle, you could see the individual glowing particles...sparks. Did they hit the ground, not that I saw...but you could see it plain as day.

I don't know, I ride through tall grass once in a while, I'm in the woods when its dry, why someone would want to chance that? It's not like were on the tar or dirt track. The arrestor IS there for a reason.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:19 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Its not the fire from the back fire that is the concern. Problem is the little glowing embers of carbon that break loose from the piston top and combustion chamber. Just like throwing a lit match away. They all can do it and thats why its called the spark arrestor.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

How does the little 19mm bolt stop all these crazy sparks from flying out?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Not sure what you mean?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bolt holds the spark arrestor in place. the bolt itself is not the arrestor. The spark arrestor is a cone shaped screen inside the pipe. I tried taking mine out to clean it but its stuck in there pretty good. Any suggestions on how to get this thing out without damaging it?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I used a skinny phillips screw driver through the bolt holt and wiggled it back & forth till it came loose. Assemble it with a no seize lubricant.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you'll not think an inch is fine when you're stopped by the US And State Forrest Service and finded for having the spark arrester removed from you exhaust , and there are no warning's for this vioation only a ciatation !

Here in Ga. there's a drought with an outdoor watering ban going on since last year that has been extended and still in efect to this day , and no letup in sight ; so it's a good thing to keep every saftey feature in good working order when riding ATV's or any vehicle for that matter !

If we want to keep our riding area's open , we need to do our best to keep what we have opened ; every year for the past 3 yrs's part of the trail system's have been closed due to wildfire's and we don't have that many mile's of trail's opened to waste on improper exhaust caused wildfire's !.......

Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

O sorry in my owners manual it said to clean the spark arrestor remove the bolt which i know isn't the spark arrestor and it sounds good without the bolt. Is that to run without the bolt?

Old 05-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You take the bolt out to clean out all the stuff that the spark arrestor <u>didn't</u> let fly out on the trail. Then you put it back in so you don't get a fine from the forest service OR burn down the woods. It's pretty simple really. The sooty stuff that comes out can be like red hot embers in a campfire. When you take the bolt out it's like throwing lit cigarette butts all around.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Once agian, please think about all of us. Can you see the headlines " ATV RIDER CAUSES FOREST FIRE BY REMOVING SPARK ARRESTER" just what we need to close down even more riding areas. Give us a break and don't give the eco-**** anymore ammo.