Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

look at this... i need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default look at this... i need some advice!

ok i posted a topic a while back about my dads 04 700 sportsman not disengaging from AWD, and today we decided to take the whole thing apart and see what was wrong... when we opened it up, all we found was the composite bushing that's pressed in the larger side of the diff case which supports the ring gear, was totally busted on the bottom... see pics.... and the roller cage had a hairline crack in it...

so i was wondering if you can buy that composite piece, or do i have to buy the whole assembled side? also based on the picture is it worth buying a roller cage?

Name:  PICT0124.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  PICT0126.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  PICT0129.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  93.7 KB

Old 04-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

I would buy a new cage for sure, you can get a new cage for a John Deere gator for about 1/3 what it costs from Polaris. see the highlifter.com forum sticky at the top of the polaris page. they have tons of info on this problem.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

yea i saw that this morning... we might do that, but what about the black composite bushing... can you buy that part?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Well this is a classic polaris. I will first answer your question for I have more experience in this than anyone, no you can not buy the bushing. I have talked to the people at Hilliard (the makers of the clutch) and they are made of metal now and are pressed in. I had the same problem and I had a machine shop make me another one out of the plastic and it lasted 2 weeks. The roller cage is also made of something differant and is a little longer. The armature plate that you have has also been modified. I rebuilt my awd three times. I have complained, made phone calls, and contacted lawyers, for this is a big problem and will probably hurt someone sooner or later. If you type in anything concerning the awd you will get a lot of bad feed back. Fianally the people at Hilliard(NOT POLARIS) hooked me up with a new clutch. I installed the clutch and put the bike back togeter leaving it on the jack. I then cranked it up gave it some gas and bam! As soon as the rear wheels turned over the fronts kicked in. The best thing you can do is clean it up and put it back. I would not spend any money at all. I am still paying for mine so I can't afford to get rid of it. I just bought a sticker that say "SO DEAL WITH IT" and placed it where I can read it. I hate it because all of my freinds can spin tires and I can't. If you don't want the awd drive, put it back in with out the ring gear.