Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman

Just to chime into the discussions, I don't have any of these tires nor have I bought
any after market Mud tires yet. But I have talked to alot of people (and more than one time, LOL)
and started discussion threads in the past on this topic. I like those Big horns and its side bite. But
I have taken an overall concensus (not that is the final court of appeal) but most folks who run the
Mudlites, 589s or Swamplites are very pleased with them as an overall end-all/be-all tire. If you search many will have compared notes between the three I mentioned here and some others like Bountys,Executioners,Maxxis,Big Horn, Black Water etc. and you will find most promote the Mudlites as a more favourable Mud/trail tire.

I think for me, I would love to have a set of real good hard pack trail tires and then have another
set of high end Big (27' or higher) Mud tires like the Mudzillas, Big Horn, Mudlitess or 589s but I am a po-man
(gett'in mo-poor) making ends meet and making payments on my toy now, LOL.

And still waiting on those who have bought the new CARLSIE MUD WOLF tire (6-ply).

R'

Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

Alright I think I got the pictures finally... I didn't get to place some side by side photo shoots but you will get the idea and know which ones are which.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albu...00/SwampLite%20Tires/

In summary :

The X2 500 had Carslye 489 Tires on 12" stock deluxe rims... I changed them to Interco Swamplites (26x10x12 for the front) and (26x12x12 for the rear) with 1 1/2" spacers on the front and back on the existing 12" stock rim.

The 800 in a few of the photos has 14" ITP rims with 27" ITP XTR Mud Lites

Oh, Here is a nice site I used to help base my decision... http://www.mud-throwers.com/atv_mud_tires?results=1824

Old 05-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only mud tires I ever had were 25" non-run-flat Goodyear Mud Runners http://www.goodyearatv.com/cfm...tiredetail.cfm?serid=7 These were my only tires I had from whenever I got my quad, '01 I think, until I got my '06. They were the best mud tires in the world at the time, not just according to me, and my friends who saw what I could do, but according to ATV Magazine's annual mud tire shootout. My friends with Grizzy 660s still haven't tried going were I went, even with their 27" Mud Lites. All I hear is excuses from them.

26" was the tallest Mud Runner back then and they outperformed ALL other 26", 27" and 28" tires, the tallest in the world, including Blackwater XTs, Titan 598s, Vampires, and everything ITP and GreenBall made. They have plenty of tread at the centerline to give it a smooth ride on hardpack. They were easy to steer and handled the powerslides great. They were cheaper than most of the others mudders too. If I was ever going to buy mud tires again I'd read up to see what this years king of all mud tires is. Why settle for 3rd or 5th or 10th place, when you can get the best?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

They are 4ply?

Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The regular Mud Runners and EMT Run-Flat Mud Runners are both 4-ply. I believe some of the other tires in this thread are 6-ply. You can ride up to 25 mph for 50 miles with ZERO air pressure in the Run Flats. Kind of like the tires on a Chevy Corvette, but the Vette can't go two whole hours on no air.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

Vince - thanks for the pics. I like the looks of the Swamplites. You'll have to give a review of the tires on different terrain. If you didn't use spacers would the tires rub on anything? (By the way your link to the pics didn't work for me but I found the pics by taking the %3Cbr%20/%3E of the end.) And thanks to the link to Mud-Throwers - nice stats and poll on that site

Old 05-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

On the front with bigger tires you need atleast a 1" spacer... I went with 1 1/2 front and back for the extra stability factor for my wife.

On the Rear you can go up to 14" wide tires without a spacer but then your tires won't be tracking the same path, individual preference I guess but I did them the same to keep them both out past the side walls.

Spacers are pricey though and you can always add the rear spacers later if needed.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I run the swamplites 26x10x12 front and 26s12x12 on rear and no spacers and no rubbing so I ask why the spacers?<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Vince00

Alright I think I got the pictures finally... I didn't get to place some side by side photo shoots but you will get the idea and know which ones are which.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Vince00/SwampLite%20Tires/
">http://s3.photobucket.com/albu...mpLite%20Tires/
</a>

In summary :

The X2 500 had Carslye 489 Tires on 12" stock deluxe rims... I changed them to Interco Swamplites (26x10x12 for the front) and (26x12x12 for the rear) with 1 1/2" spacers on the front and back on the existing 12" stock rim.

The 800 in a few of the photos has 14" ITP rims with 27" ITP XTR Mud Lites

Oh, Here is a nice site I used to help base my decision... http://www.mud-throwers.com/atv_mud_tires?results=1824</end quote></div>

Old 05-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default [NEW PICS ADDED] Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman

ivplay - any pictures? What wheels are you using? Offset could affect the need for spacers. How do the Swamplites ride on trails, hardpack, mud, wet rocks, etc?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default [NEW PICS ADDED] Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman

Stock wheels. As for the ride they are very good, they pull excellent in the mud or where ever you put them. The 10 inch on the front required me to have to flip the tie rod ends but thats all.:beer

ivplay - any pictures? What wheels are you using? Offset could affect the need for spacers. How do the Swamplites ride on trails, hardpack, mud, wet rocks, etc.

Quick Reply: Wheels and Tires for Polaris Sportsman