hawkeye K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye K&N filter

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 00XJ

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hawkman300

so, that mobil1 15/50 oil makes it run cooler or what? and so u think it would be a good or bad idea to buy the oil cooler?</end quote></div>

I'm no expert, just stating my opinions, and experiences.</end quote></div>

And thats all most of us have to offer 00XJ. We learn from sharing.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

If I'm not mistaken, the reason Polaris stresses the use of the 2w-50 engine oil is a somewhat poor top end oiling system that can starve the cam on the bigger bore engines causing accelerated wear to the lobes...since the Hawkeye 300 is an all new engine designed and manufactured by Polaris I'm not so sure that this same problem would exist here.
While todays oil is much better at holding viscosity over wide temp ranges, you may want to concider running a bit heavier oil, ( as 00XJ suggests), during the extreme temperatures of summer and going back to the lighter 2w-50 oil Polaris suggests during the cooler monthes.
What ever you decide, I would definately consult a KNOWLEDGABLE mechanic on this one! You don't want to mess this one up!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jokout

If I'm not mistaken, the reason Polaris stresses the use of the 2w-50 engine oil is a somewhat poor top end oiling system that can starve the cam on the bigger bore engines causing accelerated wear to the lobes...since the Hawkeye 300 is an all new engine designed and manufactured by Polaris I'm not so sure that this same problem would exist here.

While todays oil is much better at holding viscosity over wide temp ranges, you may want to concider running a bit heavier oil, ( as 00XJ suggests), during the extreme temperatures of summer and going back to the lighter 2w-50 oil Polaris suggests during the cooler monthes.

What ever you decide, I would definately consult a KNOWLEDGABLE mechanic on this one! You don't want to mess this one up!</end quote></div>

I agree 100% on consulting a mechanic, that is why I made sure I stated I'm no expert.

I had thought about going back to the 0w50 oil Polaris recommends, at least in the colder months but decided not to.

I guess I'm relying on Mobil stating the synthetic oil "sticking" to the engine parts better than dino oil so dry starts don't happen. I really didn't even notice it cranking any slower last winter with the 15w50 oil. It always started right up.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider

well thanks guys! u have helped me out alot. i will go to the polaris mechanic sometime soon and see what he has to say, and hopefully it is right!

Old 05-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawkman like Mongrol said if your getting 50-55 don't mess with it. I dont think your gonna get much more. I'd spend less time trying to make it faster and get out there and ride it!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

ya, im not complaining at all, lol! i just dont want to tear it up and im not buying the K&N filter for performance, i bought cuz it can be reused.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:34 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Good way to look at it Hawkman. Be sure to a prefilter for the KN. It will save a lot cleaning and doesn't stop the airflow. It also doesn't allow water through either.
I've had good luck with OUTERWEARS.COM and I think I paid 10-15$ for it.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

ya, i know outerwears are the best there are, but for now would the stock prefilter be OK if i cleaned it b4 i put it on the K&N?

Old 05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I don't think it will fit. Is it foam? Can't remember.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

ya, it is just a foam cylinder shaped tube.

Quick Reply: hawkeye K&N filter