"Official Site Skeptic"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye K&N filter

Hell, its worth trying.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

ya, lol! and im in like SUPER dry dusty conditions and sand. what could i make the prefilter out of if it wont fit until i order one? or could i like cut it if it doesnt fit and strap it on with a gap where it isnt big enough, or would that mess it up?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Would just mess it up. Service the KN and when u can afford it, buy a prefilter.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

ya, thats wat i thought. cant wait to get it! lol. thanks guys.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 00XJ

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

Check the manual, cause I think you're near the max outside air temp for the machine.</end quote></div>

Huh??? I've never seen that in the manual. Not saying it's not there but I've never read that. I have always been concerned about the apparent add on oil cooler where the oil filter is. Seems it can get alittle hot under all that bodywork. One more good reason to mount up the aux. oil cooler. After I ride in warm temps, I will remove the seat and side panels to allow the heat to escape. No use letting it sit and bake in it's own heat. And heatsoak is another concern.

I had mine out last summer in 90+* weather all day and rode it hard, didn't abuse it but ran hard for 3-4 hours with zero problems. THAT is why I think a 0/50 motor oil is way too thin for an air cooled engine. There is no way an air cooled engine can have real tight tolorances because of the extreme expansion/contraction of the aluminum parts. I have ran Mobil1 15/50 in mine since the second oil change.

I haven't worried about it, but if I couldn't ride because it was 90* or above, and had to wait until evening to ride what's the point of owning the dang thing. Surely Polaris did their homework better than that.</end quote></div>

15W-50 is just as thin as 0W-50, except in Winter when it's cold. That's what the "W" means. At warmer temps, they're both 50 weight. But when it's cold they act like lighter oils so it's easier to crank the engine. I don't think freezing temperatures should be a huge concern in Florida.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:51 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hawkman300

so, that mobil1 15/50 oil makes it run cooler or what? and so u think it would be a good or bad idea to buy the oil cooler?</end quote></div>

IMO, a 0w oil is simply too thin for an aircooled engine operated in high temps. Maybe if you lived in Alaska or something it would be different. I can't say a 15w/50 oil will make it run cooler, but it will provide better lubrication at high temps than a 0w oil can IMO.

Yes it would be a VERY good idea to buy the aux. oil cooler. Pretty easy to install. I've even considered mounting a fan with a thermostat behind my cooler. I think it was about $239 for the cooler from Polaris.

I'm no expert, just stating my opinions, and experiences.</end quote></div>

0W is only thinner than 15W when it's cold. At high temps they're both 50 weight oil. No difference at all in which will lubricate better because of the weight of the oil. 50 is 50 no matter how light it feels in the WINTER cold. Google "multi-viscosity oil" to see how it works. The additives in the oil can make a huge difference. That's why I use Polaris oil.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hawkman300

so, that mobil1 15/50 oil makes it run cooler or what? and so u think it would be a good or bad idea to buy the oil cooler?</end quote></div>

I'm no expert, just stating my opinions, and experiences.</end quote></div>

And thats all most of us have to offer 00XJ. We learn from sharing.</end quote></div>

Opinions are great, but facts are better. That's why I think everyone who doesn't know how multi-viscosity oil works should read up on it. I thought this was already common knowledge. But everyone knows how to Google, and the facts are out there.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:06 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jokout

If I'm not mistaken, the reason Polaris stresses the use of the 2w-50 engine oil is a somewhat poor top end oiling system that can starve the cam on the bigger bore engines causing accelerated wear to the lobes...since the Hawkeye 300 is an all new engine designed and manufactured by Polaris I'm not so sure that this same problem would exist here.

While todays oil is much better at holding viscosity over wide temp ranges, you may want to concider running a bit heavier oil, ( as 00XJ suggests), during the extreme temperatures of summer and going back to the lighter 2w-50 oil Polaris suggests during the cooler monthes.

What ever you decide, I would definately consult a KNOWLEDGABLE mechanic on this one! You don't want to mess this one up!</end quote></div>

I agree 100% on consulting a mechanic, that is why I made sure I stated I'm no expert.

I had thought about going back to the 0w50 oil Polaris recommends, at least in the colder months but decided not to.

I guess I'm relying on Mobil stating the synthetic oil "sticking" to the engine parts better than dino oil so dry starts don't happen. I really didn't even notice it cranking any slower last winter with the 15w50 oil. It always started right up.</end quote></div>

All the Polaris oil I've ever used was full synthetic too, not "dino". It used to say full synthetic right on the bottles.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

Well I beg to differ. I can put 10w/30 in my wifes Sable and when it's cold it will knock slightly at start up. If I put 5w/30 in it it will not. I don't care what they say, 10w/30 is a heavier oil than a 5w/30 when it's cold. Kind of blows that "won't get any heavier than a so and so weight in cold weather" crap. So I guess it does have a higher viscosity in cold weather.

And yes I know Polaris oil is synthetic, but who makes it? I'll stick with a known oil.

To each his own.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Moto Psycho

Oops. I double posted and qouted myself. I Never did that before. Message deleted.

Quick Reply: hawkeye K&N filter