Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2Yr Old Alberta Boy Dies in ATV Accident.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2Yr Old Alberta Boy Dies in ATV Accident.

Riding double (or more) on machines not designed for it is probably the biggest factor in the really bad ATV accidents I've seen. The sad thing is that when you to get in an accident when riding double the injury that is one of the most common is a broken back and severed spinal cord. I personally know a guy who had his wife on the back of his ATV and he flipped it backward on a very innocent incline on the trail. She's on a respirator for the rest of her life and paralyzed from eh neck down. Quadriplegic.

He had one of those boxes that are marketed as a back rest for rider only and not for passengers. Any fool can see that they're actually designed for a passenger and the companies that make them know that. I couldn't live with myself if i owned a company that offered those when i know perfectly well that they're actually for riding double on a single up machine despite whatever *** covering lawyer language they put on them about being for the rider only.

Of course I wouldn't want the government to stop them or any sort of law passed. The government shouldn't be involved at all. They should be free to offer them but they should really examine their personal and corporate morals and ethics about doing so.

Likewise I don't want there to be any sort of age restrictions for machines or any governmental involvement at all. It isn't their place. I would like to see manufacturers and safety groups step up and do more education about the dangers of putting little kids on adult machines, helmet use and riding double etc. Nothing legislated though. In the end that is the responsibility of the parents or the people operating an ATV. You can't legislate against stupidity nor should you. The state isn't a nanny. It has one purpose(in the USA anyway). To secure your Rights, Liberty and Freedom. Any deviation from those aims should be stopped in it's tracks.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:26 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

It could be said that stupid people, making bad decisions, & operating poor designs have a way of culling the herd. Don't like it but thems the facts.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:05 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: brutus450

i feel bad for the boy but I am sorry - you are a FRICKIN IDIOT putting FOUR on a quad!!!!!!!!!!! and a 2 year old no less................. WTF

NO BRAINS IN YER HEAD PAL???????????? pure f'n stupidity gets you every time. I think the F'N A'HOLE should get the DAMN DEATH PENALTY for killin the little boy.

He does NOT DESERVE to live.......</end quote></div>

FIVE on a quad. Four PASSENGERS.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORV Accident Data from MI DNR.

Statistics show that in 41 percent of the deaths resulting from ORV accidents the victim was under 16 years of age. Additionally, other young victims were left paralyzed, brain damaged, or with other serious permanent injuries. Most of the accidents involving young riders could be traced to a number of factors such as lack of supervision, machine design characteristics, and lack of training. Some parents appeared to be unaware of many of these hazards.

I can't remember the last time I heard of a kid getting killed on an ATV in Michigan. Here's part of the law that prevents things like this, if it's obeyed. Some of the laws seem too restrictive, but the state tries to regulate common sense for people who don't have any.

Allowed to operate 4-wheeled ATV?

Age of ORV Operator (years)

Under 10. No, except on private land while performing farm-related work operations. (Child labor.) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

10 - 11. No, except on land owned by the parent or guardian, while under visual supervision, with ORV certificate.

12 - 15. Yes, if under visual supervision, with ORV certificate.

16 or older. Yes.

This is in addition to wearing a U.S. DOT approved helmet. And no riding double, because, unlike Canada it's illegal here. There are laws covering everything else too, including, you have to be at least 12 to cross the street on an ATV. The state of Michigan pretty much doesn't want you on a quad until you're 12, and you used to be restricted to what size, I think it was 50cc for under 12 and 90cc from 12-16, but now it says, "For your child's safety and comfort, it is recommended that you match your child with an ORV of a size, type, and engine size that is appropriate for his or her age group."

Old 05-18-2008, 09:26 AM

That's terrible. Now that guy will have to live with it for the rest of his life.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2008, 11:43 AM

that guy has to be feeling really horriable about killing his own blood

Old 05-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wildwest1011

In 2005 144 kids under 15 died riding bicycles

In 2005 145 kids under the age of 16 died riding ATV's.....

I don't see anyone trying to outlaw bikes?</end quote></div>

I would also like to see the statistics for injuries that are equestrian related. Just today my wife had to LifeFlight a 3 year old that was kicked in the head by a horse. My wife sees multiple injuries throughout the year related to horseback riding. On the weekend that a large rodeo is in town none of the primary care providers want to be the one that takes ER call on that weekend because it is so busy with so many horse related injuries.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:37 AM
Range Rover

I see stupid things all the time, from 90% of the kids in my neighborhood riding a bicycle without a helmet or a helmet that is not on correctly. Even my neighbor riding his John Deer with his two year old on it. BOTTOM LINE UN-ADDRESSED BEHAVIOR IS CONDONED BEHAVIOR! I am missing part of my foot from a childhood accident with a lawn mower. Most parents want the kids to be happy and make under informed choices and NEED other parents to help out sometimes as my grandma use to say "It takes a village to raise a child". If the parent tells me to FO then I will make sure I sleep at night easily by making my opinion known. The last thing I want is to have MORE legislation dictating what I can and can't do here in Illinois we can hardly ride anywhere to begin with so loosing more laws due to idiots is not what we need anywhere.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:24 AM
Pro Rider

The man responsible is not an idiot nor is he an a$$hole, he was probably doing the same thing as he always did with his kids, friends kids or maybe grand kids...........either way, I know for a fact that he didn't want this to happen. Should it have been avoided?.........of course. But it happened.

Anyone can come up with an answer as of what "should" of happenened............but its just a bunch of should'ves.